Power Brake Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Power Brake Problem?

Originally Posted by xfordguy
The dealer has been replacing parts as instructed by GM for nearly a month now. They can consistently reproduce the brake failure using the steps I listed above. I takes a minute or two, but they keep failing.

I have a feeling GM is buying a lemon from me very soon.
or they don't know how to troubleshoot it. I'll see in my service manual if there is anything about it.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
or they don't know how to troubleshoot it. I'll see in my service manual if there is anything about it.
I appreciate the thought, but I wouldn't bother. Even the dealer is getting tired of being told what they have to do. Their opinion on what is wrong doesn't seem to matter they can only do approved repairs.

I couldn't believe GM made them spend $750 on a special hybrid brake bleeder, which didn't help. They also replaced a caliper for no reason this week.

In a few days, it qualifies as a lemon in this state.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Administrator

my guess is if is just an air bubble in the system. a tech not worth his salt will not bleed it propwrly even if they get the gadget.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast

I got the truck back yesterday. It even stops!

The story was amusing. The GM telephone tech that was working the case went on vacation, the next guy let the dealer change the part they thought was the culprit. It was a valve that they could hear hissing when the brake was pressed. This seems to have cured the failing brake issue.

The weird thing is the brake pedal doesn't feel anything like it did before the problem. The old pedal was solid as a rock and nothing could move it down very much. Now, it feels fairly solid, but if you really stand on it, it moves down a couple inches and then stops. The pedal also goes down to the "lower position" if you are holding it when you start the truck. When the pedal is as far down as it can go, I can hear a faint buzzing sound.

Since it is possible I've had a problem since the truck was new, I have to ask "Do they all do that?".

Old 07-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by xfordguy
I got the truck back yesterday. It even stops!

The story was amusing. The GM telephone tech that was working the case went on vacation, the next guy let the dealer change the part they thought was the culprit. It was a valve that they could hear hissing when the brake was pressed. This seems to have cured the failing brake issue.

The weird thing is the brake pedal doesn't feel anything like it did before the problem. The old pedal was solid as a rock and nothing could move it down very much. Now, it feels fairly solid, but if you really stand on it, it moves down a couple inches and then stops. The pedal also goes down to the "lower position" if you are holding it when you start the truck. When the pedal is as far down as it can go, I can hear a faint buzzing sound.

Since it is possible I've had a problem since the truck was new, I have to ask "Do they all do that?".
since the power assist(servo) brake pedal sinks a little when you start the vehicle, I'm surprised that it does it also with the hybrid since it is electric assist. so, yes they all do that.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
since the power assist(servo) brake pedal sinks a little when you start the vehicle, I'm surprised that it does it also with the hybrid since it is electric assist. so, yes they all do that.
Odd that it didn't do it when new. If I let go of the pedal, it springs back up and feels normal, unless you push hard. Does everyone's hybrid let you push through the "first" place the pedal stops at, as well?

I wish I had driven more than one GM hybrid before I bought mine. There aren't any more in town, or I'd go for a test drive to see. This dang thing is really troubling.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

This exact same problem did happen to me. The dealer reflashed the program and it operated normally afterwards.