No reverse gear in hybrid is this info true??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No reverse gear in hybrid is this info true??

Thanks Alan,
what is the tranny pls?
so what you are saying, the Tahoe gearbox uses the motor power in reverse instead of the gas engine?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default yes...

the electric motors (160 hp worth) provide the back-up motion. if your 12v battery is dead and the car wont start it wont back up but then it wont go forward either. That is why the motor ALWAYS starts when in reverse, it is powering (charging) the hybrid battery because you are drawing power from it to reverse. You could drive for a hundred miles in reverse as long as the gas motor can start and run to charge the hybrid system.

Last edited by jet1; 07-14-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by Guss
what is the tranny pls?
Tranny is a nickname for transmission.

-- Alan

Old 07-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: yes...

Originally Posted by jet1
the electric motors (160 hp worth) provide the back-up motion. if your 12v battery is dead and the car wont start it wont back up but then it wont go forward either. That is why the motor ALWAYS starts when in reverse, it is powering (charging) the hybrid battery because you are drawing power from it to reverse. You could drive for a hundred miles in reverse as long as the gas motor can start and run to charge the hybrid system.

Are you sure? I always thought it started because it was using the ICE to back up.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:39 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default i'm positive

no reverse gear, something had to go to make room for the electric motors

Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ahhhh makes sense

Last edited by Ed Blown Vert; 07-14-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Thanks Jet and all

So if one is stuck in sand, mud or snow, does the reverse make the vehicle less powerfull to get out?
Does it feel any different?
Is that considered a disadvantage when comparing it to the regular Tahoe?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:01 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default no difference in the driving experience

remember that a gas engine builds power IE the horsepower goes up as you accelerate. with electric motors you have INSTANT horsepower and torque ratings as soon as they are engaged.
A typical gas engine might be producing 30 horsepower at 1000 RPM. the typical electric motor (ours for example) is producing 160 horsepower as soon as you touch the gas at all, so at 900 RPM or 1000 RPM or 2000 RPM the horsepower and torque at at the maximum rating for those motors in our case the numbers are 160 HP.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 AM

Thanks Jet,

but when you are stuck in sand or snow, you don't need a lot of power as much as consistency in speed of wheel rotation. The more power the more you end up sinking in mud or sand.
I am wondering if the regular Tahoe would outperform the hybrid off road or vice verca.
I really don'y like the front bumper and air deflector of the haybrid, it is too low, and it will bump into rocks once you go off road for sure.
Can one remove the air deflector easily when going off road?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:49 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default if you want a real 4WD...

buy a bowler wildcat. http://www.bowler-offroad.com/ Tahoe/yukon hybrids are gentleman's 4wd IOW snow on city roads and gravel road type off-roading. Im sure its capable of more but its just not designed for it, you will rip the front end off the car.
The only vehicle I know of that is a hard core 4WD and a luxury car is my mercedes g55 AMG. Fast full of luxury very capable....8 MPG ----repairs cost zillions etc. I sold that one....

Quick Reply: No reverse gear in hybrid is this info true??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands