l76 vs LFA Block

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 01:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default l76 vs LFA Block

My replacement motor had a cracked piston and damaged the cylinder wall (small cracks)

what is the difference between a L76 and the LFA. can i strip down the L76 block and use it? i can get one way cheaper than the cost to bore sleeve and hone the damaged one

Old 11-17-2022, 05:34 AM
???
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: l76 vs LFA Block

I've done a lot of searching around on these trucks and it feels like you're the only one to share anything online about this deep into the engine. much appreciated.

I don't know, my experience with ls engines is very general and in the performance side. I know some how different crank trigger tooth count, there's a 1 bolt and 3 bolt cam, different tooth cam gear at some point too. I'm sure you've Googled but I saw this. if the info is correct. it sure looks like it would work.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018/...ads-cam-specs/

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018/...ads-cam-specs/

it did show the pistons being a little taller to give a touch more compression, which is a good sign they may have correct info.

that does leave me wondering if a iron block 6.0 would be fine too. more weight would hurt mileage a bit, maybe not to bad since some of recovered under braking anyways, as long as the battery capacity hasn't diminished too much

very interesting. I'd be half tempted to say if you put the hybrid cam in any common iron block junk yard engine it would bolt up and run fine. but I lot of work and money if it didn't.

please keep us updated on what works. a lot these trucks seem to be pushing 250k at this point if they are still on the road. oddly I've seen 3 different ones out driving around in my area, I always wish I could ask the owner what the story has been with their's.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:02 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

one thing I didn't notice at first. the l76 specs at the link says it doesn't have veritable cam timing. I think the block will be the same but what moves the cam runs off oil pressure from I believe the 2nd cam bearing. there's a groove in it that uses the hollow front of the cam to run oil to the actuator.

​​​​​​it's a pretty good idea to do cam bearings on any ls when you have a chance. there's tons of YouTube videos on it and I believe you can rent the tool from auto parts stores. the oem bearings wear quickly and are a source for low oil pressure, aftermarket being much better for wear. from the videos I've watched with the tool you just tap them out one at a time and back in one at a time, they are numbered. all the ls blocks use the same cam bore I believe, so just a nice set for something like a camaro that havr the variable cam timing should do it.

Old 11-26-2022, 04:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

the L76 is EGR
L76 has a lower compression ratio (but only by 0.3)

the LFA is non EGR(due to the VVT)

plus you might get check engine codes

both are aluminium blocks

the L20 4.8L engine has VVT and no AFM

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 11-26-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:18 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

I don't have first hand experience with the EGR on the I76 but I've never seen EGR have anything to do with the block. it's always intake and or in the heads. if he's just using the block crank and rods. should be fine. just check that 2nd cam bearing for oil to the cam phaser

the 4.8 would be interesting. giving there's enough fueling adjustment in the ecm, the small bore motor would be slower at wot, but might get better gas mileage around town. that would be interesting.

Old 12-25-2022, 02:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ???
I don't have first hand experience with the EGR on the I76 but I've never seen EGR have anything to do with the block. it's always intake and or in the heads. if he's just using the block crank and rods. should be fine. just check that 2nd cam bearing for oil to the cam phaser

the 4.8 would be interesting. giving there's enough fueling adjustment in the ecm, the small bore motor would be slower at wot, but might get better gas mileage around town. that would be interesting.
the 4.8L would get an estimated 28-29mpg on the highway it has only like 30hp less...

also it would open the option for flex fuel E85 which would save more on costs when fuel goes up in price