installed the volant intake today

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:16 AM
A little insane at times
Default Re: installed the volant intake today

Originally Posted by IknewbutIforgot
Thank you so much and yes, it was driving me crazy. I called several places that WANTED to sell me one but said none would fit. It was silly, I was looking at pictures on here with the kit installed and mileage increases etc... I just got this suv recently and it is tough finding parts that fit. I ordered 2 different sets of taillights for it and they didn't fit, even after questioning the vendors specifically about the hybrid, yeah they'll fit they say, sent them and no dice. I am looking for an escalade style led smoked taillight if anyone knows a link to that too. Great site by the way, lots of good info. Thanks again !!!!
Glad to help. FWIW, I changed mine in about 30-45 minutes. Wasn't difficult at all.

I don't believe the Escalade style tails will fit our trucks due to the difference in the "body lines".

Old 02-11-2014, 02:35 AM
Enthusiast

got my volant ordered and am excited, comfortable knowing someone with 08 ordered it and it fit.Thanks again, I probably wouldn't have ordered it if I didn't have confirmation. I am having the resonator cut off next week but cant find ss chrome or black tips, any thoughts anyone ?

Old 02-11-2014, 02:03 PM
A little insane at times

got my volant ordered and am excited, comfortable knowing someone with 08 ordered it and it fit.Thanks again, I probably wouldn't have ordered it if I didn't have confirmation. I am having the resonator cut off next week but cant find ss chrome or black tips, any thoughts anyone ?
Awesome man! If you have any questions during the install, feel free to shoot me a pm. As for the exhaust, check this out:

http://store.hybridcars.com/Exhaust-...on-p/20111.htm

Here is what it will sound like:

Old 02-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds good, thanks for the video.. I climbed under and took a good look and that resonator is like stated HUGE ...Hopefully cutting it off will kinda offset the extra rim and tire I have mounted on back hitch. I am having my resonator cut off next week. I think It will the Volant will show about same time. I have a trip I make semi regularly so I will be curious to see mileage increase as well as sound... off subject but this site is pretty dead eh

Old 02-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Administrator

not sure if those who installed the volant have noted any gas mileage increase as far as I recall.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:48 AM
A little insane at times

Sounds good, thanks for the video.. I climbed under and took a good look and that resonator is like stated HUGE ...Hopefully cutting it off will kinda offset the extra rim and tire I have mounted on back hitch. I am having my resonator cut off next week. I think It will the Volant will show about same time. I have a trip I make semi regularly so I will be curious to see mileage increase as well as sound... off subject but this site is pretty dead eh
Yeah, the problem is that these hybrids have been "phased out" so I think of the ones that are still out there, very few people are actively discussing how to modify their trucks or even looking for other owners to talk to.

PS. You can mount a GM full size spare under your truck where the second res is. Many have done this. The problem is that regular tahoes/yukons have a small hole in the bumper to allow the spare to be lowered down to the ground. The hybrids don't have that hole in the bumper so in order to do it right, you'd have to replace the bumper too. If you wanted the kit though, you could order it.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:50 AM
A little insane at times

Originally Posted by evois
not sure if those who installed the volant have noted any gas mileage increase as far as I recall.
It's a good point/question. We've had 10" of snow on the ground for the past couple of weeks so I haven't been able to evaluate under normal conditions. I do recall reading about someone who had experienced immediate decreases for the first week and then saw a 1-2 mpg increase after that. I'm sure % of highway driving would account for that.

I am planning on doing a 2/3 drop to achieve better handling and hopefully increased mpg.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Administrator

my escalade hybrid's rear looks lower than a regular one. it is also heavier by a few lbs. I always use 93 octane even if it only requires 87 to keep my injectors clean and I actually get good mileage using 93. the low mileage this winter is due to the winterized fuel. remote start also adds fuel usage.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: installed the volant intake today

Forgive my ignorance, but does the Volant CAI really make that big an improvement in MPG (hand-calculated)? My only motivation is increased MPG and good durability.

Most of the vehicles that I have owned in the past and done the empirical research on, Cold Air Intakes (CAIs) only provide power and MPG gains for those modifying for big power?

The Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Hybrids may be a different story. One example would be my old 2003 Chevy Duramax (LB7), came with Airaid, all the guys on the Forums said put the OEM air box back on if you aren't aiming for 500+ rwhp. I found a used OEM air box, and saw the gain in MPG over time (just over 10%). The same was true with my old 2007 Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9; though some did a "toilet flange" mod to the air box as an effective CAI.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

Got the Volant cold air installed today. I drove it after and it does definitely feel faster and I found myself putting my foot in it quite a bit more than usual. It sounds meaner too. The fit is absolutely perfect (as Rockytfox stated) and was pretty easy to install.

I am getting the resonator cut off wed of next week and I will do a test to see actual mpg. I go on about a 50 mile drive each way usually once every two weeks. I have been dead on 65 miles per hour each way, I get exact figures within a .10 each time I drive it. Just driving around, I seemed to be getting better mileage (when I wasn't standing on the gas ) in town so I am really interested to see if and how much increase there will be...

Quick Reply: installed the volant intake today

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands