Hybrid Transmission Rebuild Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Hybrid Transmission Rebuild Options

I have a client with a 2011 Silverado Hybrid that needs the transmission replaced. The rear carrier bearing went out. Its at a Chevy Dealer now, and he was quoted $13,000 to replace the transmission.
Its a 6.0L 4x4 Hybrid

I have a few questions I am trying to get help with:

What is the the code for the transmission? I have found 2ML70, but have found conflicting information if that was the only transmission used in all the Hybrid models. Looking online all the transmissions from 2008-2011 (silverado, tahoe, escalade) all look the same with just a different tail piece if they were 2wd or 4wd. Case, wire routing, connectors, all looks the be identical...

Does anyone rebuild these things? Like a shop that specializes in this? I have found a ton of support for the batteries!

We have found plenty of used one on ebay, LKQ, etc.... If we swap a used one in, I have read that if you swap the valve body and trans ECU from the original truck, programming isn't needed and its plug and play. Anyone on here done this and can confirm?

I may be in uncharted territory with this one. But figured I would ask. Thanks all.

Old 09-29-2022, 05:25 PM
???
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Transmission Rebuild Options

as I understand it they are all the same. there's one that comes up that's for a fwd car as one year model of saturn. edit* besides being for rwd or awd. I don't know if you can get a 2wd and use the 4wd trail housing. seems like I remember reading something saying you couldn't. but I might be mistaking

I was thinking a used off ebay would be best, I'd probably just have it reflashed. either at a dealer or there's a very long thread on this site about buying the clone 200$ stuff and being able to flash modules yourself.

there's a few videos on YouTube of tear down. one article I saw about rebuilding them. I've seen parts listed like they are still available and besides removing the motors, it doesn't look like something a competent tranny rebuild guy couldn't do.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thre...9/post-1717364

this was an interesting read. part 3 gets into more details. I take it they have a book on rebuilding them?

https://www.transmissiondigest.com/g...ransmission-2/

https://www.smcautoparts.com/2ML70-H...ts-s/16219.htm

Last edited by ???; 09-29-2022 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Transmission Rebuild Options

I think Jaybo at my local transmission shop can rebuild one of these, no problem. Probably in less than a day! That boy is good. Seeing master rebuild kits around 500 bucks so not that much different from other transmissions unless you have destroyed a planetary gear or something

Last edited by dnt1010; 11-13-2022 at 04:39 PM.