2004 Civic Hybrid CVT transmission, swap or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2004 Civic Hybrid CVT transmission, swap or rebuild?

It appears the transmission on my wifes 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid has failed. No muss, no fuss, it just stopped engaging any gear, like its in neutral all the time. Shift cable is intact and works.
Whats my best course of action? Attempt to have it rebuilt, or exchanged? Any idea of costs at transmission shops?

Old 01-08-2021, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2004 Civic Hybrid CVT transmission, swap or rebuild?

hi!
how handy are you?

drain fluid and check for 400 bits of belt in the pan. rebuild. kits are available online.

the transmission comes out pretty easily. if you've done a clutch on a car in the past, you are going to be okay.

if no bits in the pan:
before you pull it out though, there are some sensors on the transmission that sense both the input and output shaft. if you pull those sensors and rotate the engine (in gear) and off the ground, and that input shaft doesn't rotate, its probably the flywheel aka flexplate.

you can also pull the starter, and see if the flexplate doesnt' rotate when you rotate the flywheel.

if its JUST that, you need to replace JUST the flexplate. still requires most of the the same work to pull the trans though.

if the car goes backwards but not forwards, its probably the start clutch.

the exhaust will probably be rusted up (sucks for DIY) I used two split flanges to repair.

if the flexplate IS okay, and the input shaft is turning, but the output one is not, that would have thrown a code.

I have the 2003 service manual if you want copies of pages.