Hybrid owners jet/warbird thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:58 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default new scooter airborne!

CIVILIAN SCOOTER that is!!!! WOO HOO!

Last edited by jet1; 12-01-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Reno would not be the venue

Originally Posted by kklein
Jet 1, I have a question my daughter would like us to take both aircraft to Europe and she would like to hold a lottery for warbird loves and we would take two with us for a flight of a lifetime. Is this something that could be done in Reno. She would like to generate funds for a Childrens hospital in the US. We do not have a Fat Albert like the Blue Angles but we have a Citation X we would use for support. Any thoughts?
IMHO the typical Reno guy is a DIE HARD enthusiast but not a RICH enthusiast. You would really have to work out the details with RARA but i do not think you would raise enough money to make it worth flying even a single aircraft to Reno. Back in the "golden days" of air racing 30 + years ago the comment amongst the racers was "racing for spark plugs". Even with a 1 million dollar purse you are lucky if you see 70 grand in the gold class which might be just enough to rebuild your engine after the races. The last time i was an ofishal "racer" we campaigned john Pauls 2 p 40 warhawks (previous to this years race). Our goal was last place and second to last place in the bronze class which we easily achieved. For the whole week we only partially de-cowled one plane to replace spark plugs otherwise it was check the fluids, kick the tires and go racing. We won just about enough money to cover expenses, luckily one of the two planes was scheduled for a commercial shoot in Calif. the week after, so it all worked out. Voodoo was in the pit behind us, blew up TWO merlins and went home on a trailer having never finished a lap. You HAVE to finish one lap to recieve ANY prize money. Air classics had an article on Reno and said "it was great to see the P-40's even though they were not competitive" to which I reply WHAT EXACTLY is the definition of competitive? in my mind we beat VOODOO in spades!
just my 2 cents but I can get you the contacts you need at RARA to start the discussion if you want.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid owners jet/warbird thread

Well, you guys have my respect for keeping the faith and enjoying flying the way you should. My hat is off to you, those are beautiful birds and I am sure they are a gas to fly...in more ways than one! I know they require constant attention, care, and money! I thought I would post a pic after my first leg in my bird.

Attached Thumbnails Hybrid owners jet/warbird thread-dscn0474-large-.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default F-22 Raptor demo

here's a pretty good flight demo of the F-22. If you haven't seen it in person you need to. Remember the speeds used at airshows are considerably slower than the capability of the plane and all are limited to sub mach.
The sukoi can also do some pretty fancy flyin....BUT....I have yet to see one do it with its external weapons stores whereas the Raptor has internal bays for all ord. including missiles and bombs and CAN run any maneuver demonstrated with a full weapons load. oh and remember this aircraft program has been canceled! what we have is all we will ever have......

enjoy!

http://www.militarytimes.com/multime...0080714_rc_f22

Last edited by jet1; 12-02-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Unbelievable amount of power...and control of it! Great video.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Reno would not be the venue

Originally Posted by jet1
IMHO the typical Reno guy is a DIE HARD enthusiast but not a RICH enthusiast. You would really have to work out the details with RARA but i do not think you would raise enough money to make it worth flying even a single aircraft to Reno. Back in the "golden days" of air racing 30 + years ago the comment amongst the racers was "racing for spark plugs". Even with a 1 million dollar purse you are lucky if you see 70 grand in the gold class which might be just enough to rebuild your engine after the races. The last time i was an ofishal "racer" we campaigned john Pauls 2 p 40 warhawks (previous to this years race). Our goal was last place and second to last place in the bronze class which we easily achieved. For the whole week we only partially de-cowled one plane to replace spark plugs otherwise it was check the fluids, kick the tires and go racing. We won just about enough money to cover expenses, luckily one of the two planes was scheduled for a commercial shoot in Calif. the week after, so it all worked out. Voodoo was in the pit behind us, blew up TWO merlins and went home on a trailer having never finished a lap. You HAVE to finish one lap to recieve ANY prize money. Air classics had an article on Reno and said "it was great to see the P-40's even though they were not competitive" to which I reply WHAT EXACTLY is the definition of competitive? in my mind we beat VOODOO in spades!
just my 2 cents but I can get you the contacts you need at RARA to start the discussion if you want.
Thanks Jet 1 for your comments, they are appreciated with the experience you have at Reno. If you think persueing the contacts is a good idea go ahead and give them to me, otherwise I respect your comments. Now as far as rich I can from a familiy that was middle class who wanted me!!! to be a Preist, I left home at 15 became the Blacksheep of the familiy and worked nonstop till last year, my money was made the hard way with sleeves rolled up and with numerous ups and downs. Currently my daughter 18 who I am very proud of has 300 hrs in a TF-51 its hers , both she and i reside on four Children's Hospital boards in canada and a major portion of our income has gone there to the Children at home who need help. I also have a 11 month year old son, yes I am going for round two as an older father. As far as the Citation X it is our third and last year we few 200 hrs out of 1,000 hrs tramnsporting Children critically ill to variours Childrens Hospitals all over the world including the United States. Yes I have some money I wear jeans, us the bathroom like evryone else, wipe down my own cowlings, wash my Tahoe, complete inspections, and I learned from a good man that commanded a flight of Corsairs in WWII. The first aircraft I worked on at 15 was a TBM the second aircraft I restored was a Corsair. Both nHayley abd I as well as Cohen look forward to meeting you in Reno next year. As far as rich enthusist, I AM NOT only a friend, and someone passionate about Aviation and helping young children who have a terminal illness. I have rambled on enough sorry all I have be up since 3AM, I just hate the term rich, I had nothing when I started. Ken

Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 PM

Oh Jet 1 by the way nice picture

Old 12-02-2009, 08:02 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default at 59...

I still have nothing! didn't mean rich in a bad way....all my aviation friends shop at K mart like me. we allocate our funds to fun ie flying. I have done a few mercy flights but don't have the wherewithal do be totally committed to it congrats to you! I'm one of those "how do you make $500,000 in aviation? by starting with 3 million" kind of guys... most of the Reno attendees don't want to spend a whole lot of money on anything...except maybe beer! being on the ramp i don't really have much to do with a lot of the behind the scenes stuff unless they need me.
I'll get back to you with the RARA insider trac via PM...it will be a few days

Last edited by jet1; 12-02-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:16 PM

Hi Jet 1,
Sorry I miss understood you. The kids are important to me and I shop at Kamart as well. They had two Starships about 10 years ago.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:19 PM

Great video Jet 1. By the way when I get to Reno with the Scooter you can take her for a run around the patch. For old times. See you in Reno!

Quick Reply: Hybrid owners jet/warbird thread

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands