hummm...maybe ill take the volant intake off

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default hummm...maybe ill take the volant intake off OR NOT!

"Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle (or chassis) as distributed by General Motors are not covered by the General Motors New-Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer, or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials, or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers."

open to interpretation but as I read it, if you put non gm wiper blades on or a non gm air cleaner element they can void your warranty upstream from the mod .... i wonder about non-gm provided air for your tires and or non gm gas.....

talked with my GM insider today...worst case scenario if it throws a cel just switch back but also he told me that if it was going to throw a cel based on the switch, it would have done it by now.

Last edited by jet1; 05-06-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: hummm...maybe ill take the volant intake off

I'm no lawyer, but that reads that they won't warranty "the alterations" or an effect from an alteration. In your case, if the filter fell off, that would be engine damage. Otherwise, the worst they could do is not fix your MAF if it broke.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default this is the specific flag for me...

Originally Posted by fjungman
I'm no lawyer, but that reads that they won't warranty "the alterations" or an effect from an alteration. In your case, if the filter fell off, that would be engine damage. Otherwise, the worst they could do is not fix your MAF if it broke.
"(or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM."

in effect they say any effects on their systems. It hinges on burden of proof that your aftermarket part caused damage to any other part but it sounds like a court case that I wouldn't want to live through although the "burden of proof" would be on them.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jet: the individual dealership and or your relationship with them is key. If you need warranty service related to engine, just put it back stock. A reasonable person would not deny a warranty claim on wheel corrosion because of an air cleaner mod.

FJ has it pretty much right. If you start setting MAF codes I'm pretty sure the dealer will blame the new induction. However: Ken has logged many miles without issue.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Administrator

I have my caddy dealer do my oil changes using mobil 1 EP, the volant sure looks shiny not to miss

Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default I agree..

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
Jet: the individual dealership and or your relationship with them is key. If you need warranty service related to engine, just put it back stock. A reasonable person would not deny a warranty claim on wheel corrosion because of an air cleaner mod.

FJ has it pretty much right. If you start setting MAF codes I'm pretty sure the dealer will blame the new induction. However: Ken has logged many miles without issue.
I dont anticipate any MAF problems and my dealer actually removed the resonator and installed the tail pipe upgrade so I anticipate no issues there. Its kind of funny that in a quest to get BETTER fuel mileage on a HYBRID, an issue like a different and more efficient air intake could cause a concern.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Administrator

maybe a drop-in free flowing sport air filter would be a better choice?

Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM

Okay Time out for a minute, just a comment the Volant Blur Power Core Filter is manufactured by the same people that manufacture the original OEM filter for GM I believe that there name is Hoskins. The filter itself lets less containamnet particles into the intake because of its better filtration. The efficency is much better, cleaner air better performance and cleaner engine. Now as far as the air box the air flow is optimized for better performance again a plus for the engine. Prior to completing any modifications I checked with GM, yes they will not warranty the after market component, I would not expect them too. However it is proven that the air filter system is better than the OEM installed component and will better protect the engine just like synthetic oil. I do not believe that the system would cause any damage to the engine in anyway as long as the manufactures recommondations are followed. Common sense the current OEM system has been around for many years and like spark plug wires, exhaust systems, spark plugs etc. I believe the OEM is not interested in working on product improvements in this area. Why? They need components in the hundreds of thousands and why change it when it works and is so CHEAP. Basic Filtration old school, Volant not only increases performance it increases the longevity of the engine. Why would GM not support someone who is trying to give their built and designed product a better more reliable life? Now if you were to play with the fuel injection system, and a supercharger then I think there is a valid warranty issue. When the GM Duramax first hit the street a company in California, I cannot remember there name right now came out with performance improvements to the computer and exhaust this caused a higher fuel pressure in the injector pump which cause an early failure of the fuel injector pump. GM made it known that if this modification was installed they would not warranty the fuel pump, period. This is as far as they went which I think was very fair, the following year GM changed the pump and increased the fuel pressure helping performance. I agree you have to work with your dealership this is a must and in turn they will work with you to maintain the GM " Customer for life". Long winded yes! Looking for increased reliability of a system and component yes.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:34 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default I agree...

...in a rational world that is the way it should work. I wouldn't expect GM to cover the Volant system, but my concern lies in the hassle factor of dealing with some service on the road and a dealer claiming that your piston burned due to the air intake. its not a really likely scenario but it could happen. The burden of proof is on them but I kind of like to avoid conflict and hassle on any level cause life is too short to deal with that stuff!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:00 AM

Yes, I do understand what you mean Jet.

Quick Reply: hummm...maybe ill take the volant intake off

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands