Dirty Looks at the Fresh and Easy

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dirty Looks at the Fresh and Easy

Originally Posted by Michael1
Great story! I love it.

A friend of mine has a Prius, and me and some friends went with him to Costco. We had four people in the car, and when we started loading our purchases into the Prius, we realized it wouldn't all fit. We literally had to drive back with items on our laps, lots of big, heavy items. Many people like to ignore it, but these small hybrids have limitations. Try going to Home Depot, and hauling building supplies home with a Prius.

Michael
This is EXACTLY why I wouldn't even consider a Prius. Not to mention .... with all the nut jobs driving around out there, what would you rather be driving if you had to "bump/crash/slam" into one.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

I drive and 03 Yukon Hybrid and have three observations. # 1 I own a 42 foot sailboat, when I go to Westmarine shopping, half of what I buy wouldn't fit into a Prius. (This falls into the catagory of practicallity) # 2 I think that GM slapped the "Hybrid" moniker on the vehicle at least in 9 places, there is no way that you can look at one of these rigs and not see that it is a "Hybrid". (This fall into the catagory of self serving potetially to make up for the fact that the best anticipated mileage for this vehicle is 23 MPH, which by other Hybrid standard is a gas guzzler) # 3 I would stop shopping at Fresh and Easy, I find better value and product selection at the larger chains. A side note, I kept my boat down in Ensenada Mexico for 3 months and was driving down there every other week. One weekend when I was trying to make to the border in Tiajuana, I was re-routed to Tecate and en route when by a processing plant filled with a minimum of 100+ Fresh & Easy Tractor Trailor Rigs. (This falls into the catagory of Economy & Quality of Product as well as creating doubt into Quality Control over all)

Just my 2 cents

Old 07-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I just had my hybrid logos removed under warrenty two weeks ago. I recommend doing it, it looks better and still has like 42 logos left to remind you it is a hybrid...

There is a TSB for the decal removal if they complain about doing it for free.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sffaris,
[I]06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid (new and gone)
06 Lexus RX400h (used and gone)
08 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid (still here)
[/I]

How do you compare the Tahoe to your previously owned vehicles mentioned? I am really intersted in the comparison from a single owner.

Thanks in adavnce

Old 03-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Great story would love to see how the Prius does on the snow and ice covered logging roads in Northern Canada, with a load that is.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

You can always point out the growing cloud of "smug" over his Prius ("Good for youuuuu!" "Thaaaanks!").

and then say "Sorry, I just don't feel safe in hybrid vehicles that don't have a true neutral."

Last edited by KC135R; 03-13-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Quotes from the South Park Smug episode added for emphasis ;-)
Old 03-13-2010, 07:56 AM

I don't quite understand the logic behind preferred parking for hybrid vehicles. It does sound like there's a big smug cloud hanging over Fresh and Easy. My 2 cents: reserved parking spaces should be solely for the disabled.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 03-13-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Most hybrid owners are of the clean, fresh, fit, helathy nature. So why do they need a special parking place? I can walk. I'm also not fond of picking (too much) on the Prius. If the Prius had not become the green darling even at a loss of profit (early), GM would have never felt compelled to put a real hybrid in the market place.

The 2 Mode has its roots in a big bus that had proven working technology. But it won't scale down into a Cobalt. It was much more pracitacal to pack the large and expensive components into the truck chassis. Further, the cost of those components was better absorbed into the (then) profitable SUV for a near break even sticker price. Then the economy tanked and you can buy 2 Modes at discounted prices.

Lastly market segment. If you are going to stick your neck out and attempt a quantum leap to catch or even pass the Prius, why try to do it in his segment straight away?

So now some Train math. I averaged 20.5 mpg last summer in a 2009 Escalade hybrid, with roof rack. Ran posted speed plus 4 in many places.

Packed with passengers and stuff and a Thule on the roof at 7200 lbs. 3.6 Tons at 20.5 mpg.

73.8 Ton Miles Per Gallon We hybrid drivers like to see what kind of hyper-miling we can get but with real truck hybrids what can we get at Gross Combined Vehicle Weight?

In my photos there is a 2 WD 2009 Escalade with my Sea Ray 22' in tow. 12,601 lbs on the Flying J sacle. 12 mpg towing for 280 miles.

75.6 TMPG

So Mel and others with a Prius... Real world fuel economy and I don't know what a Prius weighs with passengers. TMPG?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:27 AM

Excellent comments Marty! I agree.