Capacitance type spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Capacitance type spark plugs

Has anyone with a Tahoe Hybrid changed there spark plugs to increase milage. I was reading about a new capacitance type plug.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Capacitance type spark plugs

The capacitance plug idea has been around for a while. I had some plugs in my Subaru called Direct Hits. My performance and mileage were pretty good compared to stock. On the mileage front, I needed less accelerator pressure to maintain a cruising speed. Anything under 3500rpm cruising delivered about 15% better mileage. Foot to the floor though and the acceleration was much more brisk. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the information, have a great day.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well, I'm a huge skeptic of most things like this (don't get me started on those electric turbos or those retarded things people put in their intakes to "turbolate" the airflow).
But, I had read quite a bit on this technology when they had it as an add-on box, and the plasma thing is legit. I think it was Hot Rod (could have been Car Craft) that reviewed it a couple years ago. I just did some research a la Google and found this:
http://www.pulstar.com/pdf/DSport_March2008.pdf

Now, this is a third-tier magazine, but their methods are good.
I found many other places where people commented positively about their use and there are other dyno tests around. Small improvement, but still quite significant.
$25 per plug is a bit steep. $200 will take some time to recover, but if you do it at 50K when you have gotten a bit of use out of the current plugs, then it is not as hard to swallow...

Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 AM

I am going to check with GM if there are any warranty issues if I were to use these plugs, as my Hybrid is brand new