Spark plugs/wires and gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Spark plugs/wires and gas mileage?

hey all, this is my first post here, just found this site the other day. anyway, me and my fiance own an 03' HCH and we are getting ready to take a "round the country trip" totaling approx 8000 miles, anyway, i'm working on getting new tires (needed new front ones) and was wondering if anyone has noticed a markable difference in gas mileage based on what type/brand of spark plug they were using. i am planning on getting a new air filter, plugs/wires (bought used and don't think there has ever been any type of tune up done on it), and an oil change prior to us leaving and just wanted to pick your brains on what may be the best combo when it comes to all that stuff. any suggestions on brands/types would be greatly appreciated. also, what are the feelings of taking it to the local honda dealer prior to leaving to have them check it out? or am i probably good with doing what i already mentioned? btw, car currently has approx. 64,000 miles and currently averages approx 43 mpg, slight bias towrds city driving, best milage was a trip back from california to vegas, 311 miles and an average of 49.9 mpg. hope all this information helps any possiable suggestions. thanks in advance.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: Spark plugs/wires and gas mileage?

I have over 100k miles on my '04 HCH and still haven't changed the plugs. I will do that at 110k miles.

If you are doing a lot of highway driving, I'd bump the tire pressure up a tiny bit, maybe to 35/35 instead of the 32/32 that they are normally inflated to. (I run my tires at sidewall max 44/44).

If you are into mileage, replace the tires with OEM Bridgestones or Dunlops. Don't let the dealer or a tire store fool you into thinking that they are all the same. I let a tire dealer put Bridgestone Imprezzas on my HCH and I lost 12-15 PERCENT on the mileage.

Replace the cabin air filters, too (they are located behind the glove box). A honda dealer will charge an arm and a leg for this, but if you get the filters yourself, you can save $50. Try rockauto.com for parts.

I change my oil myself and use Mobil 0w20 FULL synthetic.

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Spark plugs/wires and gas mileage?

thanks for the info, i wouldn't have thought about the cabin filters...
currently the car is running the following tires:
Rear - Michellin X-Radials - 185/70/14 - approx 13K miles on them and they look new
Front Drivers Side - Pirelli P300 - 185/70/14 - approx 5 months old (~6K miles) looks new
Front Passenger Side - Bridgeston B381 - 185/70/14 - 68,000+ miles, worn, needs replacing

i talked to a local tire shop about my situation and told him that was looking for tires that would get me good gas milage without to much of a hit in the ride comfort/road noise area, i mentioned the OEM B381's and he seemed to think that the amount of FE i would gain over the pirelli's would be quite small, especially given, according to him, the better ride quality/low road noise of the pirelli's, plus the pirelli's would be a good bit cheaper than the 381's and would last longer as well.

My plan from that was to replace the one 381 with a new pirelli P300 and air all the tires up to the high 30s'.....now, good idea, bad idea, what is the feeling of the group about the tradeoff in ride/noise from a FE tire (381's) vs. another kind?

I am concerned about FE, however, confort is also fairly high on my list. i guess i would rather sacrifice an MPG or two if it meant that the car would ride nice, comfy (for a civic), and quite over freeways, expansion joints, pot holes, varying roads, ect., now, if there is a FE tire (381??) that would give me that and have the added benefit of being a LRR FE type of tire, then i'd be all for it,
i did look on tirerack and the reviews of the 381 were fairly mixed, but a fair number did call out the road noise/somewhat harsh ride. if anyone has these tires or more percisely has bought another set for their car i would be interested in hearing some reviews, opinions, ect.

as for the spark plug question, the car has almost 69,000 miles on it and over the last 3-4K miles i have noticed the FE drop from mid 40's to low 40's with no real chance in dirving habits, conditions, routes, ect. this is what led me to believe that some new plugs might bring that back up, NKG seemed to have a few plugs, some nice iridium plugs and a G-Power that stated it would boost FE, though, when i look up my car all they list on their website is one OEM iridium plug. just curious about this. again, thanks for all the input.