Bird Strikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Bird Strikes

I have only one complaint with the new Tahoe Hybrid. We have owned our 2008 Tahoe Hybrid for just over a year now. Most of the driving is city with occasional interstate trips to Chicago & Philadelphia.

A small portion of our driving (10%) is on 2 lane highways at 55 MPH. However, we have noticed an increase in bird strikes (3) and near misses (@15) while traveling the 2-lane. We have killed a Sparrow Hawk, a Dove and a Grouse, with as yet no damage. Most of these are from right to left crossings as the birds leave the side of the road. Most of the near misses have been from Doves , who were gathering gravel at the side of the road and sparrows and other smaller song birds eminating from bushes along the roadside.

It seems the improved aerodynamics "sucks" the birds up and in. As they dart across in front they do an abrupt wing-over with the outside wing forced up and hit their backs on the fascia. The Dove came across at headlight level, winged over, was sucked up and over the hood upside down at an altitude of 1", followed the lower windshield contour and smashed into the left rearview mirror as we both ducked.

Only the Sparrow Hawk came from the left. It was chasing another bird who made it safely.

Another peculiarity is that I use a shortened airdam for snow clearance from October thru April and have had NO collisions or near misses when it is installed.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bird Strikes

Odd .....

I haven't had any odd/increased bird encounters since owning my Hybrid but will make note the next time one gets close.

DJ, how did you get your hands on the "shortened" airdam? I think everyone agrees that the front of the Tahoe Hybrid is waaaayyyy to low to be practical. I understand GM's reason for lowering the front fascia of the truck but it's ridiculous that my wife's Lexus has more front end clearance than my truck I was going to just rip the black plastic piece off the bottom of the air dam to add a couple of inches of clearance. Pictures of your shortened air dam would be much appreciated.

Thanks for posting!!!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Again the bird strikes were ONLY on 2 lane highways at 55 - 60 MPH. No problem in city driving or on the Interstate at 70 MPH. I think it has to do with the close proximity of the birds as they take off from the road side or try to dart in front of the car. i think they get caught up in the ground wave/ground effect of the improved aero.

Since I live in an area with a lot of lake-effect snow (we got 147 inches last season) and I am a hunter and do travel on some mild Forset Service roads and trails I needed more clearance in the winter and hunting season or I would be plowing snow or ripping it off.

I originally thought of just removing the OEM airdam for the winter but I was worried that the exposed fascia's edge might be damaged. I also considered an aftermarket airdam but since the vehicle is so new & unique there are none available.

Originally I spoke to my local Chevy Dealer about doing this but the Service Manager was reluctant to do so. He also gave me a 5 page list of things you shouldn't do to a Hybrid. Some are quite ridiculous.

So here's what I did.

- I bought a new OEM airdam from Chevy for $60.
- At the beginning of the winter season I had the local 4WD Truck shop cut off the bottom 2/3 of the original OEM airdam. They did it while it was still on the vehicle and on a lift. They used a pneumatic cut-off disc. Then trim filed the edge. Took 5 minutes. He charged me $10.
-At the end of April I took the car into the local Chevy Dealer for normal oil change and maintainance. I told them to also install the new airdam, which I provided, and to save the old "damaged" airdam. I was ready to tell them it was winter damage from the high snow and ice, but they never blinked an eye. They charged me $25 Labor to remove and install.

So I now have 2 OEM airdams, the new one is normal size (Summer) and the old one which was shortened "damaged" for Winter.

NOTE: the OEM airdam has 2 horizontal equidistant lines. We just used the upper most as a guide for the cut-off saw and lopped off the bottom 2/3 rds. This left enough to protect the lower fascia edge from stones, debri and ice.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Great posts, DJ.
The air-dam is for highway MPG. Have you been able to notice a difference between the two air-dams? Our friend Guss in Jordan would love to know if he can do your "winter" modification for off-roading and not have to go back to the "summer" version.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 AM

Dj,
If you can manage to post some pictures with your short modified winter dam, that would be great
Also does it affect your MPG when using the modified ****?

Thanks FJ

Old 08-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, it will effect the MPG. But the effects can be minimized.

With the shorter airdam you will lose 1-2 MPG. The greater loss is at interstate highway speeds. Around town the loss is neglegible and certainly there is none while off-road.

We do not do a lot of interstate travel during the winter season so the shorter airdam does not effect our MPG that much either.

We reinstall the longer airdam between April and October, when we do most of our interstate high speed travel.

Incedently we are getting 20-21 MPG in city driving. On flat interstates, say thru the midwest we are getting 28 MPG which drops to 24 MPG if we head east over the Allegheny/Appalachia mountains of central Pa. while on I-80 or the Pa. Turnpike.

MPG drops while in 4WD of course.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

FWIW I own a 2000 Honda Insight, the lowest,, shortest, lowest Aero-drag mass produced vehicle available. I too have had bird strikes and lots of close calls. I don't think it is the cars. I think there are just more birds around now, and roads in more places, so the odds are just greater now.

My $0.02.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:24 AM

Thanks Dj