No A/C - Stupid Bird

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast
Question No A/C - Stupid Bird

This one is hard to believe. I took my HAH to the dealer since the A/C was not working. I hit a bird. He showed me where a bird came in from the bottom and got stuck in the fins of the A/C. The bird apparently created a small hole which caused all the gas too leak out.

I have never heard of this before. Is this poor design?

By the way, my insurance is covering it ($250 deductible vs. $700 Honda repair).

Old 06-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: No A/C - Stupid Bird

Hitting a bird should be comp not collision which should have a low or zero deductable.

Old 06-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Rarely post anything

Originally Posted by gauthig

In a word, yes. There are stories on Accord forums about the A/C condenser being dinged up and damaged from being placed where it is (look in the bottom opening of the front fascia, and you'll see the unit).

Answer, for me at least, seems to be one of those 'racing' grill kits that fastens with the zip ties. I'd been thinking about this for my next mod for the last few days to solve this problem; when I get my car back from Xcel, I'm going to order one of these up for sure and put it on the car. Something in a matte black finish should do the trick, I think. May look a bit 'rice', as the saying goes, but better than damaging the A/C - just ask Xcel how I get w/o having A/C available these days

Old 03-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast

Same thing happened to our 05 HAH. We tried AC for the first time after two owning this new car for two month. No cold air. Took it to the dealer and got disgnosed that road hazzarad (a tiny rock) hit the AC condenser and caused the gas to leak out. The dent is literally smaller than a dime. The bill was $750 to replace the AC Condenser unit. After some complaining and calling Honda North America, I got it replaced for free.

In my opinion, the design is somewhat flawed. My wife and I have owned four cars together. All of our four cars were driven to +150,000 miles territory and never have I had this experience before. AC condenser hangs a bit low near the ground and there isn't much protection from the element.

In my car (I have a 325 Sports Wagon), the AC Condenser unit is completed protected.

Kayaker

Old 03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Rarely post anything

Since someone bumped the thread, I'll mention that I still have my lower grille cover - it's in perfect shape, matte black with (very) small round holes (a 'race' style grille, as it was called). Dresses up the car as well as being protective. Fastens with zip ties in about 30min (I pulled the front top 'H' grille off to get to this, rather than removing the lower undercover).

Paid $65 plus shipping for it; I'd like to see it go to another Accord-ian who could use it. Let's say, $40, and I'll even pay shipping. I can't remember the site I got it from, but will check on this when I get home, if anyone's interested in it.

I'll also see if I have a pic available with it on the car, but I don't think I do.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by gauthig

I would think so...I mean, small road debris are everywhere and it is one unavoidable driving hazard and it is quite common to have your car's front peppered with it. That is the reason why car bra's are popular.

But it is one thing to have a ding on your paint job, and yet another to have a mechanical malfunction.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You'll know it was a design flaw if the compressor is moved to a different location or shielded some how in the 2006 model. That's is proof positive there was a problem because they don't want to rework something just for the fun of it.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

WOW, I've never heard of such a thing, man thats weak...
Is it true the cvt trannies are weak too?

I'd be a little miffed, they'd better fix it for free thats a structural flaw .

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 03-03-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04

I think that the actual SPD on a Prius should be pretty bomb proof. The HCH CVT might not be so durable in the long run. Time will tell.

Old 03-04-2006, 05:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
WOW, I've never heard of such a thing, man thats weak...

I'd be a little miffed, they'd better fix it for free thats a structural flaw .
Your CVT is completely different from Honda's. Other than eating some gear teeth due to massive contamination or a massive collision, the gearset on the Prius will not fail- there's nothing engaging/disengaging in the traditional sense. Honda uses a belt/pulley system. Very reliable, but interlocking gears beats flexible belts in the end, IMO.

Now back on topic...

Quick Reply: No A/C - Stupid Bird

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands