AFM / Transmission Oddity..

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 01:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default AFM / Transmission Oddity..

I have a 2011 Tahoe Hybrid with just under 78,000 miles. It's basically been problem-free since it was new.

I'm now noticing a thud when the AFM disengages when cruising at highway speeds (this is most noticeable going from V4 to V8 and less noticeable when engaging — V8 to V4..)
The thud seems to be more noticeable when under load (small highway incline, etc.)

I don't have any alerts or codes (I don't have a way to scan but there are no messages on the console) and I don't have any engine miss (that is noticeable, anyway). I know there's a lot of info online about VLOM and AFM lifter failures but I don't see this being the case — it really feels like it's transmission/torque converter(dampener assembly)/lock up—related... I'm not noticing any other transmission-related issues though. Shifts fine under hard acceleration, etc.

On a side note: I just had a full transmission, differential, engine oil (basically all fluids) changed at around 75K (shortly before noticing this behavior) but I can't come close to pinning it on that, specifically.

I scanned the forum to see if there were related topics but didn't see anything that directly related. Any ideas?

Last edited by enrico; 11-09-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: AFM / Transmission Oddity..

I'm seeing a lot of new, useful advice in other threads but nothing in this one after nearly a month...

I can't be the only HyHoe owner that has ever experienced consistently rough, clunky AFM disengaging/engaging at highway speeds.

I definitely want to be proactive with this vs. waiting until something breaks.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Have you replaced the small oil filter under the pressure sensor that feeds oil to the lifters? Wonder if a partially clogged filter could be starving the lifters of oil and causing what you are seeing.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:03 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply, Jaime.

It is just freshly off a factory Chevrolet extended warranty so I haven't wrenched on it myself yet.

Is this small oil filter something that would get changed during normal (dealer) service? As indicated in my original post, I had all fluids changed this June, just as the warranty was expiring.

-b.

Originally Posted by Jaime
Have you replaced the small oil filter under the pressure sensor that feeds oil to the lifters? Wonder if a partially clogged filter could be starving the lifters of oil and causing what you are seeing.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't think it is part of any regularly scheduled maintenance. The oil pressure sensor has to be removed to replace it. The Engine Valve Lifter oil Filter part # is 12585328.
Rock Auto has it listed as an "Oil Pressure Filter".
Check this video for an example of a very dirty filter:

If all this oil/lifter stuff checks out OK, I would then check the drive shaft U-joints.

Last edited by Jaime; 12-07-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:09 AM
Enthusiast

Hello again, Jaime.

I really appreciate the insight. I will replace that filter right away seeing that it probably never happening during the scheduled maintenance and I'm approaching 80K.

I'll update the thread if it makes a difference.

Would you say that's about all I can check at this time since I don't have any codes?

Thank you!

-b.

Originally Posted by Jaime
I don't think it is part of any regularly scheduled maintenance. The oil pressure sensor has to be removed to replace it. The Engine Valve Lifter oil Filter part # is 12585328.
Rock Auto has it listed as an "Oil Pressure Filter".
Check this video for an example of a very dirty filter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiIbb5mzo3k

If all this oil/lifter stuff checks out OK, I would then check the drive shaft U-joints.