General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

General Motors Brings Chevrolet Volt Car to Washington

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Site Founder
Default General Motors Brings Chevrolet Volt Car to Washington

Representatives from American auto manufacturer General Motors recently were in Washington, D.C. to showcase the electric Chevy Volt. GM says the vehicle will change the way people commute, reducing emissions and America's dependence of foreign oil. VOA's Paul Sisco has today's Searching for Solutions report.

GM representatives say there are only two like it in the world, and one of the automakers joked that you could probably get this one for $5 million or so. The Chevy Volt is a concept car, dependent in part on technology under development.
http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-07-26-voa25.cfm

Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: General Motors Brings Chevrolet Volt Car to Washington

I still want one. They make it sound like the battery is the ONLY thing holding it back.
I hope it happens.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:24 AM
Obsessed MPG Junkie

Now....this is newsworthy!

I want one too but I definitely need to test drive this on the a steep climbing highway first to be sure it can get me to and fro work with only a single charge!

Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

I hope Honda and Toyota have theirs out with GM- still can't trust GM for developing something that is roadworthy for the long-haul.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Hybrid True Believer

I hope GM really does make this car. I'd love to see that PHEV-10 Prius come to fuition as well.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:15 AM
Prius geek

to quote an old Seinfeld "More of everything"...more plug-ins from more mfgs. C'mon, the world is chomping at the bit for these. If it's GM, then I'll wait. If it's my Prius, I'll take 2. But at least let's get them out in the showroom for sale.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

hmm,,

Imagine where GM would be with this technology today if they hadn't killed the ev-1 and kept improving what they already had.

Rent the movie who killed the electric car, it's a great watch.

Shame on you GM, but it's good to see you are finally listening to the people.

08FEH

Old 08-08-2007, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
hmm,,

Imagine where GM would be with this technology today if they hadn't killed the ev-1 and kept improving what they already had.

Rent the movie who killed the electric car, it's a great watch.

Shame on you GM, but it's good to see you are finally listening to the people.

08FEH
Yes, I agree. Killing the EV-1 and then hailing the Chevy Volt as the future of alternative fuel vehicles? Ohhh the irony.

I'll buy the battery issue though: enough public worry has already surfaced over lithium-ion batteries exploding, warping, etc in laptops and cellphones that manufacturing quality and safety is a critical issue here. In addition, with Civic Hybrid battery packs dying after 130,000 miles in some HCH owners in this forum, I'll give GM the benefit of the doubt for them to work out their battery "issues." Hopefully they can pack more power, faster charging, and longer life into the next generation of hybrid batteries..

Old 08-10-2007, 04:46 AM
Proud to be GM

I'll bite my lip on the "Who Called The Electric Car" bit. I've said enough on that one already and I'll assume my remarks are searchable for anyone who cares.

Regarding the current (no pun intended) status of the Volt, Automotive News had a nice, very balanced article yesterday......

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../70809008/1129

i = 0 capt = "GM%20product%20chief%20Bob%20Lutz%20touted%20new% 20battery%20technology%20for%20the%20Chevrolet%20V olt%20concept%20shown%20on%20the%20screen."
GM product chief Bob Lutz touted new battery technology for the Chevrolet Volt concept shown on the screen.
Photo credit: JOE WILSSENS
GM boosts work on lithium-ion batteries for hybrids
queryvar="gm,boosts,work,on,lithium-ion,batteries,for,hybrids";Dale Jewett
Automotive News
August 9, 2007 - 12:18 pm EST
document.write ('');
TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- General Motors is expanding its work with A123 Systems Inc., a maker of lithium-ion batteries, to develop battery packs for the automaker’s E-Flex hybrid powertrain architecture.

“I’m convinced that electrically driven vehicles is the next paradigm shift in this industry,” GM product chief Bob Lutz said today at the Management Briefing Seminars.

Today’s hybrid vehicles use nickel metal-hydride battery packs. Lithium-ion batteries, commonly used in cellular phones and laptop computers, offer more power from a smaller, lighter package.

The deal with A123Systems will help GM get vehicles such as the Chevrolet Volt concept on the road sooner, Lutz said.

GM expects to begin road tests of the Volt next spring, Lutz said, and looks to have it on sale in 2010.

The Volt, which GM unveiled at the Detroit auto show in January, uses the E-Flex powertrain architecture. E-Flex uses electric motors and battery packs, and can be adapted to a variety of power sources, such as internal combustion engines or fuel cells.

GM’s announcement of its deal with A123Systems came on the same day that the Wall Street Journal reported that Toyota Motor Corp. was delaying the launch of hybrid vehicles that use lithium-ion battery packs by at least two years due to problems with the battery packs overheating and posing a fire risk.

Toyota now is expected to start using lithium-ion batteries in 2011, the paper reported. Toyota’s lithium-ion battery packs use different chemistry than the packs made by A123Systems.

Overheating and fires have been a problem with lithium-ion batteries — last year Dell Inc. recalled laptop computer batteries due to overheating problems.

A123Systems is working with German supplier Continental AG to develop integrated lithium-ion battery packs for GM. The automaker is also working with Korean battery maker LG Chem and its subsidiary, Compact Power Inc., for lithium-ion battery packs.

GM said in January it was working with a venture between A123 Systems and Cobasys, and Johnson Controls-Saft Advanced Power Solutions LLC to develop lithium-ion battery packs for the Saturn Vue hybrid.

A123Systems, based in Watertown, Mass., builds lithium-ion batteries with its nanophosphate technology. Its batteries are currently used in power tools.

You may e-mail Dale Jewett at djewett@crain.com

Peace,

Martin

Old 08-10-2007, 07:33 AM

Funny how that article basically cites the same concerns I have with the batteries. Next generation batteries must exceed lithium-ion's capabilities. It's good Toyota is taking precautionary measures - perhaps also to observe how Ford and A123 Systems fares with its technology first.

Quick Reply: General Motors Brings Chevrolet Volt Car to Washington

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands