General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned
Default Re: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

oh.. so, why not just say it like that versus that crap i forgot from high school 15 years ago.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by Capt Morgan
oh.. so, why not just say it like that versus that crap i forgot from high school 15 years ago.

Glad it helped!

Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Ultimately, they should converge subject to:

1) rolling resistance
2) coefficient of drag * cross section area
3) thermodynamic efficiency

These three pretty much sets the expected MPG. If you add these two, we can look at handling:

Bob Wilson
What about the fact that the Volt motor is a direct traction drive, while the P2/3 has to deal with power gears and the like that combines the drive from ICE? Any appreciable loss of efficiency there?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:26 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey

The MASS problem is one of the limiting factors in hybrids. The more batteries the car has, the more power reserve the vehicle has at its disposal. But, the mass also increases when you increase the number of batteries. There is a point of diminishing return. Eventually, you would reach a point where the batteries are just pushing batteries around. That's why all the carmakers want there to be a way to make LiIon batteries inexpensively and in quantity. LiIon batteries wouold cut out a lot of mass.

The other stuff... well... maybe an actual engineer could explain it!
Hmm....if you have regenerative braking, then mass shouldnt be that much of an efficiency limiting factor. I know that the current NiMH in hybrids right now doesnt have the charge rate to full take advantage of regen, but ultracaps, or battery like AltairNano should take close to full advantage of regen. Is this true, or am I just thinking wishfully?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Banned

Glad it helped!

not really, i've been smoking pot & driving a 93 cavalier for years, all this hybrid yada yada jargon really has me razzed

Old 01-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

omg i dont understand a word of what happened here.........i'm just trying to see what car would be best .....

hahaha Capt M ......pot LOL

Old 01-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by occ
Hmm....if you have regenerative braking, then mass shouldnt be that much of an efficiency limiting factor. I know that the current NiMH in hybrids right now doesnt have the charge rate to full take advantage of regen, but ultracaps, or battery like AltairNano should take close to full advantage of regen. Is this true, or am I just thinking wishfully?
That would indeed be cool. But I thought one of the downsides to LiIon batteries was that they had a relatively slow recharge rate. Maybe the new generation from A123 will fix that in addition to fixing thermal runaway.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Proud to be GM

I'm pretty sure Martin isn't quitting GM, but I can certainly understand him getting a bit snarky from the abuse he takes at GH (and I dish it out too, sometimes -- and I apologize for this right now.)
I'll assume that this must be a response to something one of the people I've dropped on my "ignore list" has posted. Since they are on my ignore list, I can't see anything they post unless one of you more sane people quote it in your posts. So don't . To clarify the issue, no, I am not quitting GM and I am not dropping out of GH either.

FYI: There really *is* going to be a Hummer H4, but, from what I've read, it's going to be a small-to-midsize truck in the mid-$20k range. I am glad to see the Hummer "look" scaled into an appropriately-sized vehicle and I applaud GM for making each iteration of the Hummer more compact and more fuel efficient while still retaining the "look". If the H4 can get low or mid 20s for FE, I'll probably stop griping about it.
You are right about the H4 (where'd that come from?...nevermind)

I am greatful for Martin's input at GH.
I appreciate that. That means a lot, especially considering how you and I started off. This and a PM you sent awhile back have proved to me that you are a real stand-up guy and that we can disagree without being disagreeable.

Peace,

Martin

Old 01-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Proud to be GM

...-- Rolling resistance: How much the transmission tends to slow the car down when you're not pressing the gas pedal....

Don't forget tires. That is probably a bigger contributor to rolling resistance than the transmission, especially if the transmission is a CVT or has the ability to decouple.

Peace,

Martin

Old 01-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by maxfiles
.....ps is there any proof that martin works for gm, an email address or phone number?
You'll just have to take my word for it. But honestly, if I didn't, why, oh why would I come into an anti-GM leaning forum and claim to work for "the enemy"?

Peace,

Martin

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands