Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

what are gas prices at for you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 05:27 AM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: what are gas prices at for you?

Gas creeped up another nickel over the weekend. $2.46/gal.

Yeah... Someone asked why my house is so expensive to heat. Well, it's just a really *old* house, built in 1905. The foundation has settled over the years, which makes every window and door in the house have a tiny gap. Individually it's not much, but collectively it's like having one window open all winter long. I have no idea how to fix this problem; one side of the house just sits a few inches lower in the ground than the other side.

How does this relate to the Prez? He started this Iraq war without cause or justification, which destabilized the region, which in turn doubled fuel prices, which in turn quadrupled my heat bill because my house is already incredibly inefficient.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey

Yeah... Someone asked why my house is so expensive to heat. Well, it's just a really *old* house, built in 1905. The foundation has settled over the years, which makes every window and door in the house have a tiny gap. Individually it's not much, but collectively it's like having one window open all winter long. I have no idea how to fix this problem; one side of the house just sits a few inches lower in the ground than the other side.

How does this relate to the Prez? He started this Iraq war without cause or justification, which destabilized the region, which in turn doubled fuel prices, which in turn quadrupled my heat bill because my house is already incredibly inefficient.
What's really the problem is that in China they have billions of people, and 1 car for every 100. People are buying cars and they're laying concrete and asphalt as fast as they can. We all need to get used to the idea that the price of fuel is going to be a lot more expensive than the good old days.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

I guess we disagree on all counts.

Sorry to hear about your house. I guess I should consider myself lucky. Mine was built in 87 and is well insulated. A new higher efficiency furnace wouldn't hurt but it would take years to make up for the cost with reduced fuel useage. I will wait until it dies (the furnace) first.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:11 AM
World's First Hybrid

Hi Chris,
We have many many old houses here in boston area. If possible, you should maybe try and get a small home equity line of credit and have some energy efficient Harvey's or Pella windows installed. My friend bought some at the local depot and he and his bro put them all in a couple of weeks ago when the temps were in the 60's, took them about 5-6 hours. At least you will save some cash on fuel and you may be able to take tax write offs for improving the energy efficiency of your house. Here in MA its a direct write off up to a certain dollar amount. The fed's also allow for a deduction.

Fuel oil here in Canton MA is 2.199 per gallon, most tanks here are 275 gallons. Thats a lot of money for a fill up.....

Lot's of hot air and lip service coming from DC these days on energy. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of all the inaction. Goes way back to the 70's when they cudda done something but didn't. All they did was build more super tankers to supply us with more smack. Same old story. Why not, it's groundhog day again, again.......W's a big zero in my book.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Going back to gas prices-
Looks like it's inching up past $2.30 again.

Odd how last year how it suddenly jumped from around $2 up to $2.30 and was a crisis.
Seems like the frog sits in the pan.

Jan 2004 it was only $1.25/g and my concern for $2.00/g was my reason for buying a fuel efficient car in the first place.

Hopefully not, but I don't think $3.00/g is too far off from now.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

My threshold for pain was $1.50. That was when both of our vehicles at 20MPG. Now we have two 50MPG vehicles. That would put my new threshold at $3.75. If some of the prognosticators are correct, I should be back at my threshold by the end of the year.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast

Makes me happy to live in Hawaii...

However - Our gas prices today are $3.05. Probably tops the nation.

aloha,
mehitibel

Old 02-04-2006, 10:59 PM
MPG Tweaker

I paid $2.23 today for 87 octane, Union 76, Monroe, WA.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:17 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: what are gas prices at for you?

Today: Franklin, Tn.

$2.32 87 Octane

$2.52 93 Octane

Terry

Old 02-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Upstate NY: Home of high taxes, high paid elected officials, lousy weather and senators who only look out for themselves and their political aspirations......

$2.57 - $2.65 Regular 87 Octane
$2.71 - $2.86 Premium

Quick Reply: what are gas prices at for you?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands