Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Speed Bumps - Anyone else hate them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 03:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Speed Bumps - Anyone else hate them?

Outside my window right now is someone in a non-hybrid proving... something. They're accellerating to top speed then slamming on the brakes as they come to a speed bump, then doing the same to the next, and the next... then turning around and doing it again.

So obviously, my apartment complex has a lot of speed bumps. Speed bumps my car endures every time I leave or come back. But speed bumps that also happen to be terrible for mileage - good luck pulsing and gliding over these. And regenerative braking ceases to work at low speeds - speeds low enough to, for example, navigate speed bumps.

I might be fine with speed bumps if they kept morons off the street behind my apartment, but as they say, "They built a better idiot." Enough with the speed bumps, they're in the way with no benefit.

Anyone else with me on this one?

Old 10-28-2006, 04:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Speed Bumps - Anyone else hate them?

{raises hand}

Indeed.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Vegetarian

I had some in my old neighborhood (on a regular street not a parking lot ...they were more like speed humps). The speed limit for the road was 25, but the speed limit over the bumps was 15. Doesn't make any sense to me. The point of speed bumps to have you go the speed limit, not go slower.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:56 AM

Yeah I agree, I find myself going faster between the section that don't have the speed bumps. Had they not been there to begin with I wouldn't.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:46 AM

Our neighborhood only has raised crosswalks. The speed limit through the neighborhood is 25 mph. Assuming there are no pedestrians present, going over the raised crosswalks at 25 mph isn't that rough.

Last edited by Mr. Kite; 10-28-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:01 AM

Fire departments hate speed bumps (and humps) too, since they need to slow way down to go over the dang things in their big rigs.

I'm guilty of doing that speed-up-slow-down thing to an extreme in my old old old Dodge Neon: I'll yank up on the emergency brake to squeal to a slow crawl over the bumps, then do a neutral drop to peel out away from them, repeat as necessary. Speed bumps do this Jekyl-and-Hyde thing to me.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
they were more like speed humps
Yeah, those don't bother me as much, they can actually be kinda fun - and it's possible to glide over them. With these if I don't use the brake pads to get to 7mph or below I do some serious damage to my car.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:08 PM

(Yay the spam post above this was deleted! - thanks for the tip GeekGal!)

Last edited by SoopahMan; 11-07-2006 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:13 PM

You can report spam posts by clicking on the little red triangle at the top right of every post (except posts made by oneself, of course.)

Old 11-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Isn't this a bit of a rhetorical question? How many people would raise their hand when asked "Who loves speed bumps?"

Quick Reply: Speed Bumps - Anyone else hate them?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands