Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Real Mileage Database

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Site Founder

xcel,

First off, what do you mean it "didnt' look right" when you entered your LMPG? I tested it when I developed it, and it looked fine.

Secondly, if it changes all you need to do is update the LMPG. If you can add your tank data, all the better.

For the MDX, have you defined either a LMPG or tank data? If not, your car won't be on the main page because there won't be anything to show! The main page is only for overall averages, and you wouldn't have one.

Old 03-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast

Jason, I really like the graphics you've added to the milage database.

The graphs provide a nice positive feedback to the people pumping frequent data into the system rather than posting one sweet tank.

So far only a few users posted data for last year. (I got my Prius Dec 31, so all my fillups have been this year). Eventually, you might want to rotate the monthly graph so the current month is displayed all the way to the far right. That way you could show the 11 previous months in unbroken order.

Also, it would be nice if the per car download stuck the car ID in as part of the filename, so it doesn't accidently replace the full database download.

Old 03-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Site Founder

Thanks for the comments.
To all: I have decided to STOP requesting changes to the database by those who have entered data. I will either do this myself manually or not have it done at all. Rick, though I have not heard from him, has removed all 3 of his vehicles from the database.

Old 03-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

I have added my insight back in over a couple of days and am now starting to check out the threads. I removed the cars I had in the database because I had only entered in a few tanks. I think Jason has provided a fine resource here for all to learn from (One that is dedicated to a variety of Hybrids and fuel effecient cars). I had to wait nearly a month to get my insight (bought it new on ebay but they had to add cruise control) and during that time I learned a great deal including the idea of logging every mile driven. In my log I record the odometer reading, trip b (I use this one for tanks), mpg per the car computer, and a manual mpg along with the date. As a result I do not have info on temps, traffic, fuel prices, etc.... I tried to enter the data in accurately but neither my mileage (a couple thousand short), #tanks (3 short) or lmpg (89.3 per my car) match my database. I am sure I put in some bad numbers or skipped over a entry in the 95 tanks I did enter. Additionally there are some things you showld know about my fuel economy.
1. I drive 500 miles on my commute. Nearly all of it is on the Interstate
2. Other than my first few months of ownership I drive around 55 not 65-70.
3. My monthly results are not weighted evenly. THat is if you look at Dec, Jan and Feb you will see those months have very few entrys. After driving my Insight in its first snow storm and picking up several nicks in the paint due to sanding trucks I decided to drive a Civic VX when the weather was bad. When I drive the Insight in the winter it is usually when we have abnormally warm weather. Additionally the Apr - Jun values are a bit lower as the first few months I had the car I was still driving 70 mph or better. My last tank in which I got less than 80 mpg was 8 July 2001. Because of these abnormalities my data does not show a significant reduction during the winter but I know one would exist if I drove equal mileage each month of the year.

Anyway great database Jason. I will look to put some Prius info in next (a lot fewer entries but we do log the mpg just wish it had a lmpg like the insight). I don't keep a fuel log for the Civic VX but over 235K miles I am fairly certain it would have a 50 mpg year round average. I'll leave it out of the database unless I collect more than a few tanks of gas.

Dan,
As has been pointed out a Prius is far more upscale than a Civic VX or Insight. We expect a 04 Prius for my wife on 19 April. I think the Prius is the right choice for in town driving and a manual Hybrid is a btter choice for the highway. Have fun, RIck

Old 03-24-2004, 04:43 PM
Site Founder

I'm glad you appreciate it, Rick. Your data will be of great use to us, though it definitely skews the Insight average a bit

Old 03-25-2004, 03:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Rick,
Thanks for the info. I noticed from your tank data that you live in SC. Where? I will be vacationing in Myrtle Beach the week of April 3rd. Maybe we could meet halfway? I would like to see your Insight and discuss driving techniques.

Dan

Old 03-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Site Founder

I was thinking of adding a small feature to the database, and would like to double-check it here before taking any steps. It's pretty creative, but I'm not positive it woudl work well. It's a bit abstract, so please try to stay with me.

You may have noticed that during each tank, I calcuate the gallons of gas consumed. I believe that with this data, I will be able to find the "safe" amount of gas that the user can fill to the next tank. If each number represents a tank:

1 - 2 = #
This number represents the amount of padding the tank has. If it's a positive number, the second tank was filled less than the first tank. That means there's definitely more room. If the number is negative, tank 2 holds the most amount of gas that the server can comprehend as "full."

I then perform this difference for each tank. 3 - 2, 4 - 3, etc. I add them all up. this will give me a small positive or negative number.

If it turns out to be positive, I can add the number to the last gas usage number. For example, if the last tank used 9.3 gallons, and my aggregate number is .7 gallons, I get 10 gallons. I can safely assume that tank had "at least" 10 gallons in it before that last data. If the number is negative, that means the last gas usage is the highest usage of gas, ever.

How is this useful? I can ask the user of the car how much gas they pumped in the last time they went to the pump. On a timeline, this is the gas they pumped AFTER the last data entry. If it's less than that 10 gallons, say 8.7, I can say, "You could have safely pumped 1.3 gallons more."

It seems like an extremely complex way to get a minimum calculation. It isn't even perfect unless the tank overfills I'm just trying to get a feel for if this type of statistic could be useful at all.

Do you think I should bother making any calculations of the sort, or is it just a waste of time?

Old 03-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Contributor ($)

I do not think it would be needed at this point in time.
The problem the user may run into is when the tank data is lost and consecutive tanks cannot be recorded.
Take a look at my data for example.
When I first got my car in October I didn't always record my gas tanks. In fact, I actually had more written down on a piece of paper at one time, but have since lost it I still had a couple from last year around so I entered them anyway just for fun.
Let's say I misplace my next tank fiill up slip before I can enter it here. That means that I'll end up skipping the recording of one tank, meaning that the new calculation you mention would not work out any longer. I know I'm human and will lose a receipt sometime.
So I woud say skip it. But that's just me.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Site Founder

I agree. At first it seemed like a good idea

I think I mainly need to concentrate on article content. Hot_Georgia is currently writing a HCH review. Besides that, we need to get some writers!

Old 03-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

Dan,
I live in Greenville SC. I am usually there Friday-Sunday. By mid April we should have 3 Hybrids to compare/contrast. Have fun, RIck

Quick Reply: Real Mileage Database

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands