Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Non-hybrids miss EPA estimates too

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 11:03 AM
TLH
Enthusiast

Originally posted by basjoos@May 31st 2004 @ 5:23 PM
I have no problem equaling or exceeding the EPA mileage figure for any car or truck I've driven, at least during the summer.
Man, where do you live?!? Better mpg in the summer??? Minute I turn the a/c on, the game guage plummets (...well, not quite...). It bugs me that the defoster uses the a/c to dry the air.

-- Actually, this has become a problem with my HCH. The last couple-few weeks, we've had some hellacious t-storms and my windows keep fogging up. The only time I had this problem in my ICE cars was when there were 2 or 3 extra bodies with me. I can drive most of the time w/o the a/c, even in summer, but I gotta see out the stinkin' windows!

"It's not the heat I mind, Sweetie, it's the humanity!"
Hank

Old 07-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast

My previous car was a 1983 Volvo 4 cycl and the best I got out of it was 33 mpg, and that was when I picked it up in Jacksonville Fl. During the almost 21 years I had the car I got always around 22-24 mpg (open road driving). My current car is a 1999 Jeep Grand (Limited). The EPA rated it for 19/21. In the city I've driven it over 20 and the best I've driven it on the Interstate is 25. I have to admit I cheat sometimes in the summer I drive allot with my windows half down. I live along the Mississippi gulf coast and we get some mighty HOT! days.