Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Newbie with a 08 civic hybrid-poor gas milage-HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Newbie with a 08 civic hybrid-poor gas milage-HELP

Hi,
I just got a used 08 civic hybrid last week (30K) and I can understand the lack of mileage I am getting-ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

I drive 19 miles to work 90% freeway. I am trying to keep the rpms low in the morning (when cold) and drive with the cruise control whenever possible. I have inflated the tires to 40 pounds-(Honda says 32). I am trying not to drive crazy just smooth and steady. Yet my mileage is 10 mpg under the estimates 40 city-45 hwy. I am getting 34.4 (commuting) around town is about 31.

Am I missing something? I have a call into the dealer besides asking for tips I am not sure what I should say?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie with a 08 civic hybrid-poor gas milage-HELP

Hi,

I just got a used 08 civic hybrid last week (30K) and I can understand the lack of mileage I am getting-ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Being second owner might be part of the problem. Could be a myriad of things: thicker motor oil used (it should be very thin 0W20). One thing you can do easily: check the oil level. If it's significantly above the full line that will definitely eat into mileage, causing more friction within the engine, among other bad things. Or aftermarket tires (possibly, check what's on there), or something more obscure like dragging brakes (how many clicks does it take to lock the Parking Brake, for example)

You might try an oil change for starters, and be very sure they (or you) use OW20. Another thing you could check yourself is the condition of the engine air filter. Just in case. Also, hows the 12 volt battery indicator window, is it red/blue (good condition)?

I drive 19 miles to work 90% freeway.

How's traffic: smooth going or stop-and-go? What speed? Are you using A/C most of the time? While steady travel on the freeway should be good, as your speed get's higher mileage starts to erode. Sweet-spot is maybe 40~55 mph.

I am trying to keep the rpms low in the morning (when cold) and drive with the cruise control whenever possible.

I woudn't pay to much attention to rpm during warm-up. FWIW, until the engine is fully warmed it will supress many of the Hybrid behaviours. And elevated rpm will get it warmed faster, by design. Something to consider: install a block heater. 1~2 hours use will be a big help, year round. Honda makes one.

Also, Cruise Control is actually less than useless, unless you're on dead-flat roads and all alone. I never use it. It's number 1 goal is to maintain a constant speed. When you're going through ups-and-downs it's more efficient to let your speed fall-off on the climbs, and regain momentum on the down hill. That is as long as you don't get rear ended by a nut.

I have inflated the tires to 40 pounds-(Honda says 32). I am trying not to drive crazy just smooth and steady.

Good ploys. If you're not already, make sure the realtime display of mileage is showing. It's in the left corner of the upper dash display. This will show moment-by-moment how you're doing. You might be suprised what a slight lift-up on the gas pedal will do to your mileage, this gauge will show you. Also display the odometer's mileage since last reset, which you probably already are.

Also, just changing your driving strategies a little can make a big difference. Pretend you have bad brakes, for example. That is one little "game" that make a big difference. Or for another example: if you're starting out from a stop, and need to turn into a sharp corner about a block away: don't dilligently run your speed up to the limit. As long as there's no impatient tailgaters behind, take it easy, there's little point in hurry-up-and-slow-down.

Yet my mileage is 10 mpg under the estimates 40 city-45 hwy. I am getting 34.4 (commuting) around town is about 31.

Hang in there. Try my tips, and all the other responses. It will improve. FWIW, and my wife and I are not hardcore hypermilers, doing a fair number of short trips and errands interspersed with occasional extended drives, our summer mileage is around 42~46 mpg (5.1~5.6 liters/100 km). That's really just middle of the road mileage.

Some other responders will likely be along with much better figures. All valid, but require more dedication and skill. Don't get depressed about it, just keep at it.

Am I missing something? I have a call into the dealer besides asking for tips I am not sure what I should say?

The dealer may have some ideas, depends... But I kind of doubt it. He may be able to help with mechanical issues that could be suppressing your mileage figures. Anyway, stick around here and you will get lots of good suggestions.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 08-27-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Tried to patch up format. OP's post italized
Old 08-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by yupyup
Hi,

I drive 19 miles to work 90% freeway. I am trying to keep the rpms low in the morning (when cold) and drive with the cruise control whenever possible. I have inflated the tires to 40 pounds-(Honda says 32). I am trying not to drive crazy just smooth and steady. Yet my mileage is 10 mpg under the estimates 40 city-45 hwy. I am getting 34.4 (commuting) around town is about 31.

What "gear" are you driving in (you should be in "D" not "S" or "L")? How fast are you driving? Are you still on the same tank the last owner was on or have reset the trip meter? What has the weather been like?

If you are in driving in "D", and are you driving anywhere near 55mph, and have reset the trip meter, and if the weather has not been horrible (no extreme temps and no rain), then your mileage seems quite low.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Another small tip, it really doesn't make a lot of difference, but every bit helps:

Say you've just rolled into your garage, or a parking spot. AutoStop has activated, shutting down the engine. The transmission is in D. You have no further need to move the car, you're done.

Turn the ignition key off, first. Then push the transmission through to P and set the parking brake. Then remove the iginition key (you wn't be able to, prior to shifting to P).

Doing it the other way: shifting the transmission to P first, and then turning off and removing the ignition key, you re-activate the engine, for a few frustrating seconds. Doing the key-off first, it dies and stays dead

Addendum: Besides blathering on about driving technique and maintenance items, I concur: your current mileage is not very good, which points to possible mechanical issues. Hopefully something like the oil weight, something easily remedied.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 08-28-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added Adendum