Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Lakedude takes the gloves off...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lakedude takes the gloves off...

Just having some fun guys! It's great to have a little compitition.

I am now at 800 miles, 85.7 MPG for this tank. I am topped out with regard to my daily commute MPG. Ninteies and 100+ are possible, but only under the optimal conditions.

My next area of concentration will be how to keep it up (FE that is) when the cooler weather rolls in. Maybe we can figure this one out together. If I can limit the carnage to no lower than 65MPG this winter, that will be an even more significant achievement for me than 85 in the summer.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

It might take some modding to keep the mileage up in the winter. How about a custom "coax" exaust that has the intake surrounding the exaust?

Old 07-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was thinking something in a similar vein, covering and insulating the bottom of the car, all the way back to the muffler. I have some ideas, but it's too warm out to begin playing around with that. Maybe in a few months.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:33 PM

be careful you don't wanna be sniffing too much CO and CO2

Old 07-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

No need to warn me about CO. I have spent many hours in confined spaces and have had all of the associated training. Not something to mess around with.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think 90mpg is out of reach for the Civic.
I would feel for you, if I could get out of the 60's.

I'm getting jealous. I don't want to be jealous. My wife thinks I'm obsessing. SHE HAS NO IDEA

Old 07-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Hi Lakedude:
Originally Posted by lakedude
We (RJ and I) are using your P&G technique and while we are doing very well (high seventies/low eighties) we are no where near what you can do. I think 90mpg is out of reach for the Civic.
___While stuck in a 15 mile crawler because of an accident on an off-ramp ahead tonight, I was thinking about the HCH and its new found maximums. Remember my post about Tbaleno’s CVT based HCH and how easy it was to hypermile in it? Read it again. The acceleration FE is higher then that of the Prius II during a pulse? If P&G were applied at just the right interval on just the right road course, I think you may have a shot at 100 mpg too? The 77 mpg in the Accord and 39 in the MDX (although the Accord’s NAVI’s TC does not boot up immediately ) is not something that can be downplayed. I believe the Prius II still has the edge and especially when climbing but 100% of EPA highway is doable using P&G in just about anything imho.

___I am just kind of thinking out loud is all …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-28-2005, 09:56 PM

I'm really curious about the specifics on this P&G technique.
Sorry I haven't been available for the chats but just haven't been possible.

EricGo mentioned in post #21:
Or Pulse & Glide: where pulse refers to engine use at it's efficient power demand range, and glide is no arrows on the Prius below 40ish mph, and engine off for other cars.
As xcel has already mentioned the HCH CVT while on level ground will accellerate while held @ 60MPG, and has also been my experince up to about 72MPG. The slow, gradual increase in accelleration stabilizes between 40-45MPH.

Anyone who has seen the video I made saw the ~ 14 miles of staircased uphills I tackle on the first part of my commute but it becomes a real mpg lifesaver at night on the way home.
At that time I stay in that 40-45MPH range with FCD held in the 80 - infinity range most of the way or engine off, except for the large uphills near the end, but then reboot again for about 3 miles.
If I reset the FCD at the beginning of these last 14 miles it's easy to exceed 110MPG at the end, but is not accurate for being a one-way trip. (But not too bad for the other way I do around 57-60 in the afternoon)

I haven't broke a 70MPG tank (yet) and can't help wondering if this P&G technique could help? I guess I'm already kind of doing it?
BTW
My 900 mile tank goal is well in sight, mainly with more frequent and longer duration reboots, less Assist and slower accellerations.

And more important, I cleverly talked my wife out of borrowing my car the other morning.
Shhh

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 07-28-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:19 PM

Unfortunately, no one can be told what P&G is. You have to see it for yourself. P&G is a system, HG....

Actually P&G is kinda self explanatory. I think that the biggest reason it works is because it lowers your average speed down from 40-45 to about 35mph. You are pushing less air the slower you go. The trade off is gear ratio. I've been pulsing in 4th gear most of the time. You only coast for a few tens of seconds on flat ground so it wouldn't be worth it if it took a long time to get back up to speed. It seems to work best if you can time it with hills. The basic method is to speed up to about 40 and then cut the car off and glide. Going 40 using lean burn and 5th gear you might get 75 mpg max. Using P&G you are only averaging 40 mph during the pulse but then you are averaging infinate mpg during the glide. The average of the two seems to come out in the low 80s.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2005, 02:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lakedude
The basic method is to speed up to about 40 and then cut the car off and glide. Going 40 using lean burn and 5th gear you might get 75 mpg max. Using P&G you are only averaging 40 mph during the pulse but then you are averaging infinate mpg during the glide. The average of the two seems to come out in the low 80s.
Just remember that ther 40 MPH peak is driven by the uniqueness of the Prius drivetrain. At 41 - 42 MPH, the ICE is forced to spin to prevent overspeeding of one of the MG's IIRC. Even though no fuel is used, it takes about 1.5kw to do so which is basically wasted energy.

Since the HCH doesn't have that drawback, a higher peak might produce better results! It boils down to a battle between momentum and aero drag. Perhaps the HCH guys can zero in on the optimal max pulse speed. It might be worth a few more MPG's.

Quick Reply: Lakedude takes the gloves off...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands