Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Hybrids Can Still Give Good Mileage In the Heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Hybrids Can Still Give Good Mileage In the Heat

Yes, sometimes it appears we just can't have enough of this topic:

I don't know about your part of the country, but here in the Midwest it is HOT! It's so hot that even those of us who like to drive with the windows open start to think about closing up the windows and cranking the air conditioning instead. In the old days this would automatically mean an immediate drop in mileage because of the additional load the air conditioning compressor puts on the car's engine.

But some hybrid owners don't see this immediate drop in gas mileage. Why? Because many of the hybrid cars are using air conditioning units that can run off of small electric motors instead. Clever! The Toyota Prius has this capability as does the Honda Civic Hybrid. In fact the Civic Hybrid actually has a hybrid air conditioning system that can run off the gas engine, the electric motor, or a combination of both. A hybrid system on board a hybrid!

As many of us have found out (especially on HCH-II's & Priuses): Manage thy State of Charge wisely.

Cheers;

Old 08-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrids Can Still Give Good Mileage In the Heat

The TCH uses an electric compressor and I keep it in ECO mode all the time. A couple of times I performed a highly unscientific experiment. While on the highway with the A/C on I drove until the SOC was fairly high to eliminate any differences due to recharging the battery. I drove several more miles like that and then turned off the A/C. Judging by the instantaneous mpg gauge my mileage definitely takes a hit with the A/C on. Also, turning off the A/C I can stay in EV mode at a higher speed and my SOC does not drop nearly as quick.

With that said it was only an experiment. I'll suffer the loss of several mpg to stay comfortable.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

I don't know for sure but I think the potency of the engine has something to do with it. In my insight, putting the a/c on is a deathblow for my mpg. However, in my HCH it doesn't make nearly as much of a difference. Thats anecdotal obviously but seems to make sense IMHO

Old 08-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast

I have to say that I will use the air conditioner when it is hot outside. I purchased the hybrid to save, or not have to spend as much on gas.

I recently took a trip from Virginia to New Jersey using the air conditioner (set at 78), drove at 73mph, which included bumper to bumper traffic 4 times during the round trip and still averaged 47.75mpg.

What I found to be a big benefit was running the A/C, staying comfortable while the car was in auto stop. (Engine shut off)

Old 08-09-2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by XerEagle
drove at 73mph, which included bumper to bumper traffic 4 times during the round trip
I would think you would run into problems driving 73 mph in bumper to bumper traffic.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SretiCentV
I don't know for sure but I think the potency of the engine has something to do with it. In my insight, putting the a/c on is a deathblow for my mpg. However, in my HCH it doesn't make nearly as much of a difference. Thats anecdotal obviously but seems to make sense IMHO
This is a major point. An AC that uses up only 4% of the engine power on a normal vehicle may be more like 6-7% of total engine power on a scaled-down hybrid engine. The same amount of fuel consumption (say 0.2 gallons an hour to cool the car) would be a higher percentage on the more efficient hybrid -- the relevant figure is the gallons per hour of air conditioning (not miles -- more fuel will be spent running AC by driving slower), but few people will ever look at that.

Using the elecrtic however does offer the advantage of strategic load balancing -- running off the engine more on period of lower load, and running off the elecrtic motor when more engine power is needed. There are many automatic algorthims that could be implemented, even on the older belt-only AC systems, that would spread out the AC load based on engine load, but they have largely not been implemented.

Last edited by Double-Trinity; 08-09-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Hybrids Can Still Give Good Mileage In the Heat

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I would think you would run into problems driving 73 mph in bumper to bumper traffic.
True, it would be nice if we had some Speed Racer functions on our cars to avoid those type of situations and hard braking while reducing the speed from 73 to 0 didn’t help with the gas mileage either.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:48 PM

You can reduce the load induced by any belt-driven AC compressor by manually cycling it off while the engine is in a heavy load condition such as accelerating or climbing hills. Turn it on while at cruising speed, going downhill or slowing down and the MPG loss becomes manageable.

-Steve

Old 08-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

First there was no A/C. Then it was a luxury on cars, then an option. Now it's pretty much standard across the board. What, oh what did people do before there was air conditioning? I guess the same thing I do - roll the windows down.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by toast64
First there was no A/C. Then it was a luxury on cars, then an option. Now it's pretty much standard across the board. What, oh what did people do before there was air conditioning? I guess the same thing I do - roll the windows down.
And my grandmother used to use a scrub board to do her laundry. But then something better came along. If anyone told their wife to do the same thing that was done before washing machines he'd be sleeping on the sofa for a long time.

Just because things used to be done a certain way, doesn't mean it's better. I'll give up 2 mpg to be comfortable. Aside from which opening the windows doesn't do much for the aerodynamics.

Quick Reply: Hybrids Can Still Give Good Mileage In the Heat

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands