Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

How many MPG posts are honest

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
joe540ci
Default Re: How many MPG posts are honest

Why are we posting our MPG ??? So other owners can compare there car to yours and see how there doing. (thats what i'am intrested in)?? So someone who is intrested in buying a hybrid can see what to expect for milage??? I am sure some people just want to see if they can get the most mpg possible. If there was a column for driveing like a jack *** then my daughter would have to post in it.She abused the car,let it run to warm up for way longer than is needed,and drives like a jack a**. I could only get worse MPG If someone sifoned out gas from my tank . I think 99 percent of post readers don't care to know what people got when they were testing there 0-60 times or drag racing or borrowed the car out to an inept person.I think people want to know what they can get for MPG when all things are equal...JOE

Old 02-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
Why are we posting our MPG ??? . . .
In my case, it is a combination of 'lazy' and sharing. I had been keeping a spreadsheet when I heard about GH. Rather than having to lug a laptop around, I could just find a web browser and 'voila.'

The other reason was to share what I'd learned and ask others, on both ends of the performance scale, what is going on. Folks here told be about a couple of other web sites including "Prius_Technical_Stuff" and my education continues.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-16-2007, 06:04 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
If there was a column for driveing like a jack *** then my daughter would have to post in it.She abused the car,let it run to warm up for way longer than is needed,and drives like a jack a**. I could only get worse MPG If someone sifoned out gas from my tank . I think 99 percent of post readers don't care to know what people got when they were testing there 0-60 times or drag racing or borrowed the car out to an inept person.I think people want to know what they can get for MPG when all things are equal...JOE
From what I have seen, your daughter represents more people than our mileage database does. If we want to lessen our use of oil, we should focus on the behavior that causes people to drive like they do. I would say most people on GH drive in a way that represents less than 1% of our population. So does that mean that we are ALL hypermilers? I think it does.

Hybrids are great, but even a hybrid gets terrible mileage if we insit on racing to every stop light and running the engine just to get the car warm so we are more comfortable.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
In my case, it is a combination of 'lazy' and sharing.

Very right.

For instance, In my case, I can certainly provide yet another example of of the effects of temperature on a hybrid vehicle. Most folks can only guess... but clicking on a signature makes the impact that much more sobering.

Contributing to a public mileage DB has many advantages but I feel the "Sharing" part is the most significant.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't log because i think the number is meaningless. I know how much mpg I get, I don't get the point of sharing a limited piece of info without the proper context.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
I don't log because i think the number is meaningless. I know how much mpg I get, I don't get the point of sharing a limited piece of info without the proper context.
That's what the extra fields are for. City/Highway, temperature, and then there's the text box where you can write whatever you want. It's only limited if you make it limited.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Even still... unless all drivers do the exact same route under same conditions, the data is sort of meaningless.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

On the contrary, if we had a set of data consisting of many repetitions of precisely the same route the data would be almost completely meaningless. The fact is that people drive through a wide range of conditions. A useful database must (and does) reflect that. Now, that does make for a lot of information to sift through. One way to improve that situation would be to allow searching by parameters such as city/highway ratio or temperature, perhaps even keywords in the notes. All you need to get what you want is the right tools.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:31 PM
joe540ci

If someone owns a non hybrid midsize suv tell us what you get for your worst (say cold temps) and your best MPG. I would like to know if they very as much as our hybrids do??

Old 02-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by livvie
Even still... unless all drivers do the exact same route under same conditions, the data is sort of meaningless.
I almost agree... except for the "meaninless" part.

Indeed, the inference is not complete and authoritative because of the implicit variables you mentioned (as well as many others).
However, there is a least the value of the statistical FE ranges for each model in the database. It is pretty evident that the FE profiles we observe help identify what FE (likely attainable) the average new owner can expect for his new vehicle.

I have my beefs with this GH database too. The reporting does not allow you to retrieve data based on the Temperature, driving regime, and other entered data. This forces me to literally "compete" with other owners of the same vehicle model who never experience the seasonal challenges I experience.

Nevertheless, despite these deficiencies, I believe the benefits still outstrip the negatives and as a result I see our mileage contributions as generally beneficial to the larger community.

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: How many MPG posts are honest

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands