Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

hacking the Escape Hyb

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default hacking the Escape Hyb

I'm a middle-aged guy now, and a bit out of touch with the hot-rodders of these days. I know that there are "high-performance chips" that are available for some vehicles and engines, and I'd guess that niether the EPA nor the vehicle OEMs like them.

How about a hacked chip for the Escape?

I live near Seattle, and it totally drives me nuts when I'm going downhill, and the engine turns on!!! I don't think 40mph is a good value for the Escapes modified engine braking, just as one small item I think a hack would deal with.

How about serious mods? Adding a 2nd battery, doing "plug-in" on added batteries, etc.?

Let's generate some interest/demand for Ford owners getting a chance at a bit more serious approach to hybrid M/G and battery utilization

Old 05-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: hacking the Escape Hyb

YOU'VE NOT BEEN HERE VERY LONG, nor have you done your homework.
It's all been discussed before. Try reading the FORD section.

A) you can go as fast as you want downhill with the engine off. Turn the key off and back on within 2 seconds and the engine will die and the power brakes and power steering will stay on *( usually, not guaranteed, do at your own peril)

B) People are already doing add-on batteries with plug-in grid charging.
The parts will cost you $15 grand, but then you have to be skilled enough to put it together yourself. Or, you can have a company install a larger battery and plug for you for about $30 grand. You'll get up to 90 MPG highway and 140 MPG city for 50 miles a day. Is it worth it to you?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

No, but a hacked chip for $100 - $200 might be, and that is preferable to the 2-sec off/on trick by far.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hcbflash
No, but a hacked chip for $100 - $200 might be, and that is preferable to the 2-sec off/on trick by far.
There is no retail performance chip for the Escape Hybrid. Those that do exist (SCT, XCAl III) for non-hybrid versions run around $400 retail. Let us know if you create one.

Last edited by Billyk; 05-08-2009 at 05:25 PM.