Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Fuel Matters!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Fuel Matters!

I bought a new 2006 Prius last year and have pretty much exclusively used Phillips 66 87 octane gasoline for over 19,000 miles. My average was from 40- 43 mpg t-t. Got into a pretty big tiff with Toyota about the misrepresentation of their car and was about ready to have it declared a lemon.

Last week I filled my empty tank with Shell 87 octane and drove a few hundred miles. I saw an increase of 3 mpg. Filled again, another increase. Drove 360 miles to Kansas City and returned using Shell gas. My t-t mileage is about 49 mpg now.

I realize four tanks doesn't prove anything but the trend is very good. I checked with a friend who manages a number of Phillips stations and he said it is the additives.

If you're getting lower than average gas mileage then go to other brands with an empty tank and try a few tanks for trending. Always 87 octane.
Let us know how it works for you.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Noz
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel Matters!

Originally Posted by New 2006 Prius
I bought a new 2006 Prius last year and have pretty much exclusively used Phillips 66 87 octane gasoline for over 19,000 miles. My average was from 40- 43 mpg t-t. Got into a pretty big tiff with Toyota about the misrepresentation of their car and was about ready to have it declared a lemon.

Last week I filled my empty tank with Shell 87 octane and drove a few hundred miles. I saw an increase of 3 mpg. Filled again, another increase. Drove 360 miles to Kansas City and returned using Shell gas. My t-t mileage is about 49 mpg now.

I realize four tanks doesn't prove anything but the trend is very good. I checked with a friend who manages a number of Phillips stations and he said it is the additives.

If you're getting lower than average gas mileage then go to other brands with an empty tank and try a few tanks for trending. Always 87 octane.
Let us know how it works for you.
It has alot to do with how much ethanol is in the fuel...the more ethanol, the lower the MPG you will see.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Noz,

Thanks for your feedback. I don't know if Phillips uses ethanol but I'll find out.

I started a dual thread in two locations. The one under the Prius has been getting most of the posts.

I would delete this thread for the other one if I could figure out how to do it.

Thanks again,
Ray

Old 03-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In Calif. we're forced to add ethanol for summer driving. As I drove up to and back from Vancouver, BC, Canada to Long Beach, CA I never saw anything as low as your milage, Ray. And my wife is a real lead-foot. In fact, those kinda results I saw only when I was taking my car into the dealer.

centrider