Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

emissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default emissions

what is the cleanest car out there? (that you can buy) i am not so worried about MPG per-say but to get a clean car is more important. and i can't find a list of EPA emission leading cars.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: emissions

Originally Posted by dunkin
what is the cleanest car out there? (that you can buy) i am not so worried about MPG per-say but to get a clean car is more important. and i can't find a list of EPA emission leading cars.
Any PZEV (Partial zero emissions vehicle), AT-PZEV (Advanced Technology PZEV - like the Prius), or SULEV (super ultra low emission vehicles) rated car will be a good choice.

Of course, you could opt for an EV (no pollution at the car, only some at the power generation utility), if you can find one that meets your needs at a reasonable cost (or a bike).

Here is a link to the relevant EPA sie:

http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/midcar-07.htm

Note that the Prius gets a rating of 9.5 (pollution) / 10 (Greenhouse gas) which are the highest for any production car to date (except, perhaps EVs).

JeffD

Last edited by jdenenberg; 08-06-2007 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added reference link
Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
Any PZEV (Partial zero emissions vehicle), AT-PZEV (Advanced Technology PZEV - like the Prius), or SULEV (super ultra low emission vehicles) rated car will be a good choice.

Of course, you could opt for an EV (no pollution at the car, only some at the power generation utility), if you can find one that meets your needs at a reasonable cost (or a bike).

JeffD
but i am wanting a list of those cars, but i can't find it.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by dunkin
but i am wanting a list of those cars, but i can't find it.
See my edited comment below.

JeffD

Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast

thats a good list but it doesn't state, (dumb dumb terms), which are the PZEV or USLEV. i know that i can look at the numbers but its easier on my part if the letters are there.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here is short list.

http://www.greenercars.com/highlights_greenest.htm