Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

companies w/ lower speed policies for trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 03:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default companies w/ lower speed policies for trucks?

Some companies have policies and/or trackers enforcing speed limit driving for their trucks-

Anyone out there have a list of trucks that are consistently good draft targets? It seems that SYSCO and UPS around here (MD/DC) are always doing 55-60. If I see one, its a given that I can hold that draft for a good long way without having to keep chasing it.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:09 AM
Brains of the Operation
Default Re: companies w/ lower speed policies for trucks?

I always try to draft the big orange Schneider trucks. They seem to stick around 60.

Also, the majority of my driving is between here and DC, so this should be relevant for you.

Last edited by Civic Duty; 11-29-2005 at 05:10 AM. Reason: driving location
Old 11-29-2005, 03:17 PM

Hi GoNavy:

___Funny you should mention this today … The UPS guys were running 55 - 60 mph around here for a while but just recently have bumped it up to their pre-Katrina normal 62 - 63 mph. I did see my first ever FedEx dualie running at 57 mph this morning for ~ 15 miles. Thank god too because I had a 15 + mph, 35 degree F headwind right down the nose The Vitran and Overnight guys run like a bat out of hell as do the FedEx pilots most of the time. Schneider drivers are in the middle at around 60 - 65 mph here near Chicago. Swift guys are all over the map. Some are driving 70 + and others will hang in the high 50’s/low 60’s. No rhyme or reason with the Swift guys that I can tell? You would think the independents that actually pay for their fuel directly would be the most conservative but in my daily travels, I very rarely see an independent at or near the speed limits

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-29-2005, 04:58 PM

Yeah, I'll forgive the parcel/delivery companies this time of year for running fast...time literally is money to them.

I'm sure if I googled long enough I could find a news article somewhere that lists truck lines that monitor their drivers' speeds- a good indicator of who'll be driving closer to the limit, if not below.