Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Braking

When I lightly press the brakes on a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, am I engaging (a) the generator only or (b) the generator and the disk brakes? I've seen many hybrid drivers hit the brakes early when they stop (ie when they are at the top of a long off-ramp or when they are still far from a red light). It appears they are doing this so they may capture as much electricity as possible when they stop.

Can someone confirm for me that I am not engaging the disk brakes when I lightly press the brakes on my hybrid? How do I know when the disk brakes are engaging in addition to the generator?

Thank you

Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Braking

First off:
Welcome to the CLUB!

Originally Posted by grtfalls70
When I lightly press the brakes on a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, am I engaging (a) the generator only or (b) the generator and the disk brakes? I've seen many hybrid drivers hit the brakes early when they stop (ie when they are at the top of a long off-ramp or when they are still far from a red light). It appears they are doing this so they may capture as much electricity as possible when they stop.

Can someone confirm for me that I am not engaging the disk brakes when I lightly press the brakes on my hybrid? How do I know when the disk brakes are engaging in addition to the generator?

Thank you
That is how the Toyota hybrid systems work. The initial braking effort just engages the regenerative braking. With more pressure, the mechanical brakes get engaged.

Some of the early Prius adopters built systems for measuring brake line pressure to tell when the mechanical brakes are engaged. Later, they realized that without enough mechanical braking to 'wipe the rotors clean,' you could get corrosion that would eat the rotors.

I'm not sure how the Ford Escape handles this but I suspect it is similar to the Toyota system.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

It works like ( probably ) all hybrids. About 50% of your brake power can come from the generator. So imagine how much it would take to skid the tires, cut that in half, and the lower half will be regen.

A Ford hybrid designer told me to put a large book on the passenger seat.
If the book does not slide off, you are not using brake pads.

Watch your charge / assist needle.

If the needle moves to charge, 99% of the time you are not using brake pads. There are times when the battery is full, or too hot ( 100'F + ) or too cold ( 25'F or less ) and the brake pads will go on from the start.
( those temperatures are not exact cut-offs, just examples of when the use of brake pads becomes more likely )
-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 01-16-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Speaking of Prius, following charts are the comparison between THS(2001-2003) and THS-II(HSD:2004-)...
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/envi...s2/system.html
The THS applies regen plus slight hydraulic and THS-II applies all regen.
I don't know which technology is used on FEH.

Ken@Japan