Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Better Gas Mileage for the Altima?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Better Gas Mileage for the Altima?

This is my first posting on GREENhybrid. I hope it won't be my last.

I had had my 2007 Altima for only a few months and realized that with a couple of tweaks the mileage could be boosted. I was getting about 34 mpg and my wife could get about 40 mpg using the car's trip computer. I wrote, "May I suggest that:

• If the CVT could be adjusted to force a slightly higher gear ratio and
  • If the computer could permit a bit more pressure on the gas pedal before it switches to gas mode and
  • If EV mode were to be locked in place until the forty mile per hour speed (unless the battery runs down or some other required issue forces it into gas mode),
then I believe the gas mileage figures would blow everyone’s mind for a car as spacious and powerful as the Altima."

In response, I got a lawyer's letter telling me to mind my own business.

Here's my question, "Is there a way to adjust a cable or switch or the computer to trick the car into doing those three things?"

Here's another question, "Why isn't the Nissan Altima, using Prius technology, accepted as a "Green" vehicle on the NYS Thruway, the NY/NJ Port Authority Bridges and Tunnels or the HOV lanes in NYS?" I asked Nissan headquarters to look into it and they did not respond.

One final question before my head explodes, "Why does my dealer tell me that I need a throttle body cleaning at almost every 3,000 mile oil change because my hybrid builds up carbon because the engine keeps going on and off, but Nissan doesn't recognize it as a warranty item?"

OK, I lied, one more, "What the heck did my dealer do to my car so that the mpg went down 3 mpg the moment I left his dealership two weeks ago?"

Thanks for your time! Happy new year.