Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Adjustment to my cars data

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Contributor ($)

FYI.

Today I went back and edited the tankful posts for my Insight to reflect the calculated mpg as opposed to dash mpg. For reference, I have identified the dash mpg in the comments of each tank.

I have noticed a +2.5% difference between the dash and my calculated mpg.

I have decided to go with the (lower) calculated mpg so people do not think the numbers are "inflated".

Old 07-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Site Founder

It's one of my plans to have an input for "calc" or "auto" figures so that it's easier on everyone.

Old 07-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Ericbecky:

___With your actuals, make sure you post in the notes section distances and gallons purchased. It will add even more credibility …

___It is too bad that people are quoting their LCD’s mileage instead of their actuals all over the net, not just here. There are quite a few Edmund’s posters posting the same (Prius owners in particular) right off the LCD instead of the actuals which is a real disservice to future Hybrid owners imho.

PS: I saw you last tank about half an hour ago. Slow down just a tad (well more then a tad but you know what I mean ) and you should be ok for a year round average > the EPA combined. Remember, the EPA isn’t doing 65 mph or running the A/C when they run their City/Highway tests.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Contributor ($)

My wife joined me on that last trip, so the constant a/c and additional speed were unavoidable.

But this new tank I'm working on is going much better. 74.4mpg for the first 175 miles.

Plus, I actually reach my first 90.0 mpg, 30 mile segment on my way home from work yesterday. That should help.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have said many times that the numbers need to be from the tank and not the dash. I have had it right on the same numbers only twice to being off on the bad side as much as 10% :o . I have never been to the good side either, but most of the time it's been around 2 to 3 % off. Kevin

Old 07-10-2004, 04:04 PM
BIF
Active Enthusiast

I can vouch for that. My latest tank was 49.5 on the computer, but 46.1 by way of calculator.

Because there were no major temperature changes, there would probably be zero chance of "bladder effect" messing up my numbers. Therefore, I figure that the calculated average is probably more trustworthy than the computer, and that's what I always use when inputting my numbers into the database.