Ford Motor Company Ford, Mazda and Mercury hybrids

05 Escape Hybrid "stop safely now" only in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default 05 Escape Hybrid "stop safely now" only in hot weather

Just throwing this out here to see if anyone has a clue what to try next. I have an 05 Escape that was getting the stop safely now warning pretty often. I replaced the rear actuator and it got somewhat better. I looked at the coolant system pump and it looks like the newer style, and I could feel it running. I used a vacuum to suck the air out of the system, about a pint was then added. That seemed to take care of the issue, unless I am out driving the car in town on a 85-90 degree day. It will then shut down, and after a while it will be perfectly fine again. There are no error codes that I am getting with these shut downs.

Does the coolant system require flushing? I was thinking about replacing the coolant pump, thinking it might not be pumping as fast as it should. Just at a loss as what to do next.

Thanks

Old 10-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 05 Escape Hybrid "stop safely now" only in hot weather

After thinking about this a little longer, I am wondering if these issues could be related to the temperature of the hybrid battery. The A/C on the car works, but not great, and I know that there are A/C lines in the battery compartment. This also tends to happen on hot sunny days. Does an overheated traction battery give you the "stop safely now" warning?