2005 Escape "High Engine Temperature" Shut Down

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:47 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation 2005 Escape "High Engine Temperature" Shut Down

Last week the "High Engine Temperature" warning came on while driving on the expressway. After about 3 minutes the "Stop Safely Now" sign came on and the car powered down. There was no shoulder on the side of the expressway and it created a very dangerous situation. I managed to pull over, shut the car off and restart it after a couple minutes. I drove the next 80 miles at 60 MPH w/o incident. Had the car into the dealership and although "an incident" was recorded, they couldn't replicate the problem and did nothing.

Yesterday the same thing happened 3 times on the expressway. First time I pulled over after it shut down ("high engine temperature" and then "stop safely now"), restarted after 30 seconds and continued. The next couple times the high engine temperature warning didn't go off after being shut off for a short time, so I had to wait a few minutes before continuing on.

My hybrid has over 76,000 miles and although the warning came on and the car shut down about 6 months ago after starting it cold and pulling into traffic, this is the first problem I've experienced.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 Escape "High Engine Temperature" Shut Down

The first generation Escape Hybrid has a couple of know issues that could contribute to "overheating" related to the hybrid related issues;
  • the MECP-the motor electronic cooling pump-is known to go south and could induce issues. It is possible this pump was working properly at the dealership when reviewed. The orginal pump turns "on and off" and I understand the redesigned one is "on" constantly. Did the dealership give you information on any "codes" that may have been created? There are threads on this issue on this site.
  • Blend door issue-the hybrid battery pack isn't receiving outside air to cool itself. Again there are threads on this issue on this site
  • Crack in the air conditioning lines leading to the hybrid battery pack.
  • Other_?
    *the overheating of the engine comment would seem to indicate issues with the radiator but-
Without access to your vehicle and information to codes, I can only speculate the above.

Last edited by Billyk; 05-22-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I don't see how the MECS could affect the engine temperature.
Were the fans running up front? They are variable speed, or have at least hi/lo speed.

The fans do not run at all until the engine temperature is above 200 and something, I forget.

I just learned the fans up front come on if the M/E coolent reaches 120 degrees F and turn off at 111 degrees F.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 AM

I don't think we've see the "High Engine Temperature" warning mentioned here before in concert with the MECS pump "Stop Safely Now" warning. This leads me to believe that this really is an engine heat issue and not an electrical component cooling issue.

The areas I'd look into are:
-Engine water pump
-Radiator Fans (are they turning on)
-Radiator/Coolant level
-Thermostat
-(I guess it could also be a sensor issue since I don't believe there is a dedicated engine temperature sensor and the engine temperature value is calculated using other sensor readings. I would expect some CEL codes if this were the case.)

Since the OP was able to drive another 80 miles after the initial issue, this had to be a "recoverable" issue and that's what has me baffled. I thought the '05 FEH had a mechanical, belt-driven engine water pump. Can someone else confirm that?

Old 05-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

05 has 3 pumps, 1 mechanical/ belt driven, 1 in-cabin heating in EV mode, and 1 mecs pump. I had my mecs pump die on my wife( of course on a long road trip). Had the vehicle towed to Ford dealer and about $800 later she was back on the road. This pump should be defiantly a DIY maintenance item as they are known to crap out. That pump is under $300 CND the rest is bloody labour. Very easily repaired, but you'll have to have the trouble codes cleared (using a scan tool).

Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 PM

I replaced the MECS pump on my 06 FEH proactively at about 50k Miles. I had seen enough info posted here to conclude that at 50k plus mile its failure probability was greater. Not a difficult job if you are handy with tools. There are many posts on this including a great Ford Dealer in Nevada with good prices.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

The wife has now seen this twice in her car, an 06 MMH with about 155k mi. I bought a scan tool and it shows no codes. I believe I can hear the MECS pump running. I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean it's pumping fluid.

Sure is disappointing to hear that it seems it'll happen more frequently.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

After more reading and pondering, I ordered a new MECS pump. Will let you know how that goes.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast

hi guys..What's the scoop with the water circulation and little motor running after the engine is shut down? I infer from the motor sound and water circulating into the top of the overflow tank that there is an electric water pump cooling the engine after shut-down. is it true?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by hernznorma
hi guys..What's the scoop with the water circulation and little motor running after the engine is shut down? I infer from the motor sound and water circulating into the top of the overflow tank that there is an electric water pump cooling the engine after shut-down. is it true?
"After" cooling the electronics more likely.