OMG, I ran out of gas!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default OMG, I ran out of gas!

I decided I was going to go for over 700 miles on this last tank. No problem, I mused, since whenever I have chickened out and filled up after the gas gauge had turned to 0 miles left/red I apparently had plenty of fuel left--at least 1.5-2 gallons, by way of doing the math on the capacity of the gas tank. 716 miles and still moving! Then, up pops the "Pull over now you idiot, this is embarrassing in a hybrid!" warning light! OMG! Well, I wasn't in a great place to turn around, I was heading uphill and the ICE had clearly stopped. Then, it occurred to me . . .

I pulled into a liquor store driveway, turned around, and headed back down the hill to a gas station about a mile away! No problem! I almost forgot, I did have a little buffer left in the battery. It took me at least 30 seconds to realize that little tidbit! Anyway, I'm here to tell you, you will drain that battery down to zero when you do that. No problem though, filled 'er up, started instantly, and the rest is history. 716m was fun though! As it turned out, according to the math once again, I had around 0.8gal left, but was going uphill at the time the ICE shut down, at which point it gets iffy, or so the manual explains.

Noel

Old 05-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Default Re: OMG, I ran out of gas!

Hi Noel

I've got my '09 and '05 FEH down for going past 0 Miles To Empty and do it all the time. The FEH is hard to stuff 15 gallons in the tank so each of my fills have been around 13.6 gallons: http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?pa...9&viewcar=2612

If you have a SGII with X-Gauge programmed to read the SoC of the HV battery you should barely make it to a gas pump down to 32% SoC. After that, my '09 will not move on battery power but it will restart fine if you add gas. I know I have .8 gallons left at 0 Miles To Empty and I'm not afraid to continue by resetting my B Trip and monitoring my average MPG from there. So far I'm gone 54 miles past 0 Miles To Empty but I had kept my battery SoC at ~45% in case I ran out of gas so I could make it to a gas pump if I needed too. I don't like to go that close to running out of gas but I was headed for a SAMS CLUB gas station to get a good price and do some shopping one day and could have used another station on the way if I needed to in electric mode.

GaryG