here we go again

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default here we go again

A while back I was thinking about trading my 99 Ranger 4X4 ga$ guzzler in for an escape hybrid, the dealers here told me they do not have any, cant get any but they would be happy to sell me a v-6 cause there isn't much difference on the freeway, I told them 98% of my driving is city and they basically said oh well, take it or leave it, I left.
Fast forward to this week, called about a Fusion, was told they were not out yet, but they had a gasser I could look at, told them not interested, same mileage blah blah blah...
Went to mercury web site & looked at the Milan, the local dealer has 2 hybrids & 2 gassers in stock of course the hybrids are in my least favorite colors light silver & white (why $500 extra for white) so, I think I am going to try & get over there & drive one. (other 1/2 willing ) presuming they really are available, as we all know, they aren't out yet.
I wonder if Detroit would be in less trouble if the dealers acutaly made an effort to sell people the car they wanted rather than what they had, granted, they need to dump the cars no one wants but by doing so, they are actually turning away people who know what they want and go there for a specific product.
I did write Ford about the Escape incident, they never even bothered to respond, Yes, It does make me leery about dropping 30k on a Ford product but I really do like it & want to add a 2nd hybrid to my garage...you know something different then my HCHII (which I love) but some varity is also nice...hmm the 2010 Prius has made a lot of changes, maybe the Toyota dealer won't be so arrogant this time by adding $5,000 to the sticker, or no, maybe I will just forget the whole thing, yeah, thats what the ecomomy needs right now.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: here we go again

Please post the names of the dealerships. Then I will send the exact message posted here to the dealerships and see what the response is.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:38 AM

Wendell Ford, Spokane Wa.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bobs Metallic Pearl
A while back I was thinking about trading my 99 Ranger 4X4 ga$ guzzler in for an escape hybrid, the dealers here told me they do not have any, cant get any but they would be happy to sell me a v-6 cause there isn't much difference on the freeway, I told them 98% of my driving is city and they basically said oh well, take it or leave it, I left.
Fast forward to this week, called about a Fusion, was told they were not out yet, but they had a gasser I could look at, told them not interested, same mileage blah blah blah...
Went to mercury web site & looked at the Milan, the local dealer has 2 hybrids & 2 gassers in stock of course the hybrids are in my least favorite colors light silver & white (why $500 extra for white) so, I think I am going to try & get over there & drive one. (other 1/2 willing ) presuming they really are available, as we all know, they aren't out yet.
I wonder if Detroit would be in less trouble if the dealers acutaly made an effort to sell people the car they wanted rather than what they had, granted, they need to dump the cars no one wants but by doing so, they are actually turning away people who know what they want and go there for a specific product.
The first dealer just sounds dumb. However, you can't blame the second dealer for not having your favorite color in stock...everyone likes different colors, plus the Milan Hybrid did just come out, and most dealers don't even have them on the lot yet. The white is a triple-coating, which is why it costs more than the others.

If none of the local dealers have the model and options you want, your best option is to place an order and pick your exact configuration. Actually, I'm surprised the other dealer didn't suggest that rather than just turning you away. Guess they must be doing really well to be turning away potential customers

Old 04-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Customer Service contacted via E-mail just a minute ago. Will provide the response when it arrives.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tikitofu
The first dealer just sounds dumb. However, you can't blame the second dealer for not having your favorite color in stock...everyone likes different colors, plus the Milan Hybrid did just come out, and most dealers don't even have them on the lot yet. The white is a triple-coating, which is why it costs more than the others.

If none of the local dealers have the model and options you want, your best option is to place an order and pick your exact configuration. Actually, I'm surprised the other dealer didn't suggest that rather than just turning you away. Guess they must be doing really well to be turning away potential customers
They also almost all belong to a dealer network, and can dealer trade another dealer for a car that you would like without too much hassle.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 AM

1. No, I don't necessarly expect them to have my color, I was simpliy saying I did not care for those colors and this would be for a drive only after all at 30K shouldn't I be happy with the color choice?.
2. Mark, apparently, you have never been to Spokane, for most businesses, saying hi to you is too much hassle, ordering a car from another dealer and using one of their favors, not likely (I did ask on the Escape Hybrid, they said it could not be done).
3. It will be interesting to see what response you get Bill, They sent me an e mail and offered to put me on the order list to see if I could get one (with a deposit of course)(I had a friend who had to win a lottery & get on a list to buy a house in Arizona a few years ago, the bank owns it now).
4. I did not get by the Mercury dealer, I think I am going to pass for now the more I think about it, the more I would just as soon not give Ford 30k, I am really unhappy with the Ford dealer & I don't like the grill & upolstery in the Milan.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Bob -

Sorry to hear about your issue with the Ford Dealer. We were lucky, when we bought our 2007 Escape Hybrid, the salesman and the dealer got the vehicle we wanted from another dealership the same day. I also have had luck with the Honda Dealer when I bought my 2005 HCH. Now the Toyota dealerships were very different, not willing to work with you, rude and obnoxious. This is one of the reasons, I will never buy a Toyota. I had the same experience when I lived in MA, so from my perspective, the Toyota Dealerships seem to be all the same. I'm been very impressed with our salesman at the Ford Dealer in Scottsdale, we will use him again when we are ready to get the Ford Fusion Hybrid.