Our Announcements The latest official news from Electric Vehicle Forums. Reply only.

Mileage Database Updates (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Site Founder

I have re-organized the database once again to make things a bit more bandwidth-conservative and easy on the modem. The main page no longer lists every car in the database, but rather displays the graph and allows the visitor to choose what table they'd like to view.

I will be adding aggregate statistics as a small table (one row per car type) soon, but for now I think it will do. Good idea? Bad idea?

Old 05-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Contributor ($)

Good idea to make those band-width saving changes. Hopefully that will help cut down on any outages! Also I can relate to the frustrations of having a (slow) dial up modem for viewing the web. I fianlly gave up on my dialup and went in with my neighbor on wireless DSL.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

I'd like to be able to enter Miles and Gallons - that way, you could ensure that users are giving you real data instead of the display readout. Let the server calculate the mpg. In my own table I add the display mpg and calc the pct error, because I'm a dork like that.

It might also be neat to add an optional price paid or price/gal, or find an RSS server that updates the nationwide average, and display the actual hybrid savings on the graph next to the ugly "nonhybrid average mpg" bar!

Old 06-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Site Founder

As far as the first suggetion, I have been planning on doing this. At the very least, letting them choose "manually calculated" or "automatically calculated".

For the second, I did have a gas price thing but it stopped working. I'll see about having it again.

Old 08-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason

___Is there a way to only view the tanks of those inserting them for the last day or two instead of searching through the entire list(s) of Hybrids and non-Hybrids alike? To keep my own list up to date so as to try not missing anyone in the Hypermiler thread, I walk through each Hybrid (HCH, Insight, Prius I and Prius II) as well as all the non-Hybrids on a daily basis almost. If there was a way to look at all tanks posted in the last day or two, I could accomplish my task in seconds instead of minutes as it takes now. I believe it would place a much smaller hit on your bandwidth as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Site Founder

Wayne,

Download the Excel database of tanks and sort the rows by timestamp. The timestamp is a value that expresses the number of seconds since January 1, 1970.

Old 08-14-2004, 07:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___I just pulled in the excel spreadsheet and the owners nicks are sorted by a code or membership number of sorts, not by their nick in the forum? I can’t do much with this?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Could you put a button to remove those with less than say 5 tanks?

There are some tanks there, alone by themselves at a very high number.

I don't think they are representative of the mileage these people are getting.

I have 17 more tanks of info on my spreadsheet, but the graph only shows 1 year at a time, unless I'm missing something.

Old 08-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Site Founder

Right, it only shows one year. Basically, I didn't implement it when I first made the database and it would be nearly impossible to do now. So I'm not concerning myself with it now. Just put it up and it'll average all your years together.

I could remove those with less than 500 miles or so. Shouldn't be too hard. Give me some time A lot is going on right now!

Old 08-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here you go, done.

My average went up from 48.5 to 49.6!

I'm real close to 3rd and 2nd place in the non-hybrid listing...

Quick Reply: Mileage Database Updates (Again)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands