Winter is here. What do I need to know about my '09 AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Default Re: Winter is here. What do I need to know about my '09 AWD?

Originally Posted by inspectorgadget83
I took my 2009 out on Saturday with the couple inches that we got. I wasn't able to purposely lose control any time I tried. Even we I tried to power myself into a skid the traction control kicked in and started braking individual wheels. Didn't have issues driving too fast on a snow covered road. Even took a roundabout a little too quickly and had a slight slide that corrected itself immediately. The other thing that I noticed was if you try to stay in EV from a stop you will not have any issues with traction because of how slow the acceleration is. Hopefully we will have some really bad storms like last year and I can test things out, but so far I am really impressed. (And a little disappointed because I can't have any fun in the snow )
See, you should have got the FWD after all!

GaryG

Old 12-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

I posted this in another thread, but since someone brought up block heaters, I will repost:

How much should it cost to install block heater (at dealer) for 09 Escape...my dealer states that they have never installed before so will not give me fixed price. Parts are about $180.

UPDATE: Apparently the block heater is not yet spec'd for the '09 FEH. My dealer has told me that they cannot (or will not) install the '08 spec'd block heater in an '09.

Well that sucks. Any one have any info that might disagree with this position by my Ford service center.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BruceF
I posted this in another thread, but since someone brought up block heaters, I will repost:

How much should it cost to install block heater (at dealer) for 09 Escape...my dealer states that they have never installed before so will not give me fixed price. Parts are about $180.

UPDATE: Apparently the block heater is not yet spec'd for the '09 FEH. My dealer has told me that they cannot (or will not) install the '08 spec'd block heater in an '09.

Well that sucks. Any one have any info that might disagree with this position by my Ford service center.

From this link: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...e=post&id=6895 on page 9 you will find 41H option===engine block heater. Go show this to your dealer and smile

2009 ESCAPE& ESCAPE HYBRID
OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
��
= New for this model year.
1 = FWD / 2 = 4WD Only
S = Standard, O = Optional, P = Packaged Option
F = Fleet Option with valid FIN code

- 8 - Ford Division
XLS Manual XLS XLT Limited Hybrid Hybrid
Limited
��

OPTIONS (Continued)
Moonroof, Power w/Shade & Mini
Overhead Console (incl. single storage
bin and map lights)
43M – – P-17B P-17A O S
Side Step Bars, Integrated 187 – – O O O O
FAST TURN ORDERS (FTO) PACKAGES
XLS FTO 1 – Floor Mats, Cargo Package.
I4 (FWD) 681 – O – – – –
XLT FTO 2 – SYNC, Cargo Package
I4/ V6 (FWD) 682 – – O – – –
XLT FTO 3 – Sun & SYNC Value Pkg.,
Cargo Package. I4/ V6 (FWD/4WD) 683 – – O – – –
XLT FTO 4 – Leather Comfort, 17"
Chrome Clad Wheels, Sun & SYNC
Value Pkg., Cargo Package. V6
(FWD/4WD)
684 – – O – – –
Limited FTO 5 – Moon & Tune Value
Pkg., Cargo Package I4 (FWD) 685 – – – O – –
Limited FTO 6 – Limited Luxury Package,
17" Chrome Clad Wheels, Moon & Tune
Value Pkg., Cargo Package. I4/ V6
(FWD/4WD)
686 – – – O – –
Hybrid FTO 7 – Cross Bars 687 – – – – O –
Hybrid Limited FTO 8 – Navigation
System 688 – – – – – O
FLEET ONLY OPTIONS – Valid w/FIN Code
Daytime Running Lights 942 F F F – F –
Engine Block Heater 41H F F F F F F

Old 12-08-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
From this link: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...e=post&id=6895 on page 9 you will find 41H option===engine block heater. Go show this to your dealer and smile
FLEET ONLY OPTIONS – Valid w/FIN Code
Daytime Running Lights 942 F F F – F –
Engine Block Heater 41H F F F F F F

It is true there is a block heater for the '09 FEH Fleet orders, but the dealers can't look-up the part number without a VIN. It's most likely the same part as the '08 FEH, but no way to know till the parts department has access to a VIN that has one installed to confirm. If someone here has a '09 FEH with a block heater factory installed, please post your VIN in this thread so the Parts Department can look up a parts number for the block heater in the '09 FEH. That VIN can confirm the part number so he can order one for his '09 FEH.

GaryG

Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

colchiro has a 2009 FEH with an engine block heater installed. Send a PM to him and ask if he can help out.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info......

How long should it take to install the block heater? Do you know if the freeze plug is easily accessible?

If any one has had the dealer install this for them, how much did the charge you (how much for labor and how much for materials)

Thanx....

Old 12-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We have 10-12 inches of snow forecast for Sunday (conveniently delivered via a blizzard). Since I'll be 4 hours away during that time, hopefully I don't need to drive much of that. Guess the AWD will get a little work out. Hopefully it's optional.