'06 FEH Stock Stereo w/ Nav Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default '06 FEH Stock Stereo w/ Nav Removal

I bought a CommanderMT XM radio recently and I've been trying to install it this morning in my '06 FEH. This involves removal of the stock radio so I can patch into the antenna (since I'm assuming there is no Aux input).

However, I've been absolutely killing myself trying to remove the stereo system. I don't have a DIN Tool so I've been trying the coat hanger method, and I'm relatively certain I have inserted them into a proper length from the feedback I get when inserting them, but the stereo won't come out. With the hanger pieces inserted, I feel like the stereo moves a little bit more than normal, but I obviously still can't remove it.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '06 FEH Stock Stereo w/ Nav Removal

Even with the proper removal tool these stereos can be a SOB to remove. They have to be inserted to the proper depth and I've found I have had to kind of angle the tools toward each other once they are inserted. Done correctly, the radio slides right out.

Did you fabricate the coat hanger with the point on them so they can get into the inside holes and release the clips?

For about six bucks at any Auto Bone you can get a set of the tools. Well worth it.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: '06 FEH Stock Stereo w/ Nav Removal

Thanks for the reply! I think I will get the DIN tools when I get a chance, but I was too impatient this morning to wait.

I managed to get my hand back there and unplug the antenna and to also connect the XM adapter without taking the radio out (after taking off the surrounding panel of course). But I've learned my lesson and I'll be prepared next time.