Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

Originally Posted by Tim K
Toyota may have VSC, but they had to sacrifice the performance of their AWD system to do it. Feel free to read through the posts in the Highlander Hybrid forum to see how many owners have been stuck by only a couple of inches of snow. Toyota opted to use a second electric motor for the rear wheels, which added cost and can cause traction problems. Ford opted to stick with the current AWD system without VSC until they are able to engineer a new system that can handle AWD, regenerative braking and VSC. I'm sorry they aren't working fast enough for you.
Serious miss-understanding going on here...

It is not VSC that is "handicapping" the Toyota AWD systems, it is TC, Traction Control, implemented in the very same way as in the FEH/MMH. Across the entire FWD and fb-AWD, front torque biased AWD, vehicle manufacturing industry measures are being make to remove the potential for patently unsafe wintertime operation of these vehicles.

And it's about time, TOO!

Since loss of traction, roadbed adhesion, at the front wheels can be so potentially desasterous extreme measures are being taken so that the effects of excess engine torque or engine compression braking on the front wheels does not result in loss of directional control.

So yes, Toyota is suffering mightilly PR wise over this issue. Toyota's TC firmware will INSTANTLY brake the front wheels if wheelspin/slip is detected, and almost as quickly dethrottle the engine, leaving the driver virtually dead in the water, mud, snow, or icy roadbed.

Some of the upcoming new models will have a TC disable function and then once TC is disabled VSC can also be disabled.

In the meantime your new FEH/MMH will very likely have the same feature, "ruggedized" TC, to INSTANTLY brake the front wheels and dethrottle the engine to eliminate the potential for loss of directional control. For FWD/fb-AWD vehicles expect to also encounter transaxles that ALWAYS upshift upon a full lift-throttle event to alleviate or lessen the possibility of engine compression braking leading to loss of control or interferring with the operational functionality of ABS.

Before the naysayers jump in here they might want to know that Ford is actually one of the industry leaders in this effort, especially concerning the FEH/MMH. Ford was recently granted a US patent that addresses these very same issues but concerning reducing or disabling regenerative braking.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:46 PM

When you say "real" AWD/4WD systems will never have VSC if you mean AWD/4WD systems that actually LOCK the front driveline to the rear one you are absolutely correct.

With a "center" lock even ABS must be disabled or a way found to QUICKLY unlock the "center" if any of these features, VSC, TC, ABS, need to be activated.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:09 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

While all this may be true for AWD/4WD vehicles, why doesn't Ford offer TC/VSC on the FWD version of FEH/MMH? It really sucks since the technology for that already exists today!

Old 06-22-2007, 07:12 AM

Probably b/c they didn't want to engineer a whole new system for just the FWD FEH/MMH.....and if they are working on a system for the FWD and AWD versions in '09 as some reports say, then there would be no reason for them to spend the time and money to do so for the 07.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

I believe the FEH/MMH was Ford's first drive-by-wire, brake-by-wire design....and it took a lot of engineering to get it to work (reliably) and still meet 2004 production dates. So, now you have a hardware/software system that drives the car (except for steering) and you need to integrate that with a second (overlapping) hardware/software system that drives the car (except for steering) in certain emergency situations.....and not screw-up what you have already programmed for non-emergency situations. It is just not the same technical development exercise as it would be adding VSC to a non-hybrid, direct throttle, direct brake vehicle. If Ford can incorporate VSC into their second generation hybrid ('09?) - they should be on par with Toyota, who is currently producing their second generation Prius which offers VSC as an option on that FWD vehicle.

Folks may just have to wait for VSC on the FEH/MMH and do all the things they have done for decades to drive safely - slow down, steer into a skid, tap the brakes, etc., etc.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:38 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glennb
Folks may just have to wait for VSC on the FEH/MMH and do all the things they have done for decades to drive safely - slow down, steer into a skid, tap the brakes, etc., etc.

Couldn't agree more. On my wishlist, I now have 4 things:

1. TC/VSC
2. Electric air-conditioning
3. The Nav/Sat system to support traffic feeds from Sirius
4. Tweeters in the sail panels

Last edited by rb1; 06-22-2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Added point #4
Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 AM

"(except for stearing)"

NOT..!!

There are now two methods in use. One (BMW/MB??) wherein VSC will actually counter-stear against the driver's input, and a second (Toyota/Lexus electric steering) wherein the stearing "stiffens" (lower power assist) against driver input in the "wrong" direction.

But in reality VSC has always used "steering" to prevent or correct for over-steering, by differential braking, or "unbraking" a single front wheel.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Regarding #4, I have factory installed tweeters in my sail panels. ( came with the sub-woofer in the cargo area )

Regarding #2, there's no advantage to it. Electric A/C takes a LOT of power, and would deplete the HV battery very fast. You would then burn gas to re-charge the battery, so you might as well just burn the gas originally to run the A/C and save the wear and tear on the HV battery.
At first look, electric A/C sounds good. In reality, it will cost you the same (or more) in gallons of gas used, due to conversion losses.

Originally Posted by rb1
Couldn't agree more. On my wishlist, I now have 4 things:

1. TC/VSC
2. Electric air-conditioning
3. The Nav/Sat system to support traffic feeds from Sirius
4. Tweeters in the sail panels

Old 06-22-2007, 10:02 PM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Regarding #4, I have factory installed tweeters in my sail panels. ( came with the sub-woofer in the cargo area )

Regarding #2, there's no advantage to it. Electric A/C takes a LOT of power, and would deplete the HV battery very fast. You would then burn gas to re-charge the battery, so you might as well just burn the gas originally to run the A/C and save the wear and tear on the HV battery.
At first look, electric A/C sounds good. In reality, it will cost you the same (or more) in gallons of gas used, due to conversion losses.
About #2 I do agree. Having said that, it IS difficult to sit in traffic in rush hour on a 95 degree day without a/c... too bad there can't be a lower power "a/c lite" for this situation.

And regarding the #4, I think none of the '08s have the tweeters in the sail panels. Truly sucks -- more so since they charge extra for this "audiophile" system that sounds like crap. Believe it or not, the the upper frequencies in the standard audio system sounded better in a little Kia rental I had last week.

Nevertheless, I truly love the MMH. I am continually amazed as to how much fun it is to drive.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 AM

I'm not sure just how the FEH/MMH A/C actually works but if it is of the automatic climate control type it very likely uses the reheat/remix method so the outlet airflow is not so cold as to be discomforting.

If that is true then you can increase the A/C efficiency pretty dramatically by setting it to max cooling and then use the blower speed to control the cabin comfort level.

Or in the alternative you can go to home depot and buy and install a water flow shutoff valve in the hose line to the heater core. Shutting off the HOT water flow will entirely defeat the reheat/remix cycle and allows otherwise normal operation.

Quick Reply: Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands