Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

I was almost convinced that I should head down to the local Mercury dealer and at least test drive a new '08 MMH AWD. But then I happened to notice a small astorisk (*) that led me to a statement that only the standard Mariner had VSC.

What gives....??!!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Default Re: Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

Toyota and Ford have yet to solve the problem of stability control with the unique braking system found on the hybrids. Wait you say, Toyota offers stability control. Yes but they did it this way: added a second electric motor to power the rear wheels in their AWD system. Ford continues to use a center differential that splits/varies the torque front to back. Some posters have reported the Toyota vehicles can get stuck in snow when the traction control kicks in to stop a spinning front wheel and the underpowered rear electric motor isn't able to power the vehicle out. You can do a search of this issue. Of course the second electric motor adds to the cost of the vehicle.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Lessee...

GaryG or a troll, GaryG or a troll, GaryG or a troll...
I miss GaryG, good guy, real person, nice man.
GaryG is gone the troll is still here.

11-29-06 the troll posted the '08 FEH/MMH lacked features the troll claims it wants.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=11244

The troll said it wasn't going to buy a FEH/MMH...six months ago.
The troll also said it was leaving...six months ago.

The troll lies.

Please don't feed trolls.

It goes elsewhere for it's nasty, snotty, vile, little jollies if it doesn't get fed.

Last edited by spud; 06-03-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default No Stability Control show stopper for me

Escape/Mariner already has lower crash test rating than Prius or Camry which both have strability control. Nisson Altima has stablity control as do Lexus/Highlander and discontinued Accord.

Insurance Highway Safety Institute rates stability control has a must.

Especially true for higher center of gravity vehicle like Escape.

I was looking at getting one, especially after seeing folks here were able to coax 30mpg from their Ford hybrids but the lack of VSC is a showstopper. Since this applies to 2008, probably getting the Prius.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Default Re: No Stability Control show stopper for me

Originally Posted by Prada

Insurance Highway Safety Institute rates stability control has a must.

Especially true for higher center of gravity vehicle like Escape.

I was looking at getting one, especially after seeing folks here were able to coax 30mpg from their Ford hybrids but the lack of VSC is a showstopper.
I assume Ford does not offer electronic stability on their hybrid models because they are having trouble getting it to work with "only" the AWD version. As menitoned in the previous post, Toyota and Lexus AWD models also have a problem with combining regenerative braking with electronic stability control. AWD versions from these companies utilize a second electric motor to drive the rear wheels opposed to Ford using a center differential to split torque between front and rear as needed.

I recently read an article that quoted Ford's Director of Product Sustanibility (a women who's name I can't remember) as saying electronic stability is expected in the 2009 version of Escape Hybrid.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast

Since Ford uses Toyota tech and Toyota offers 4WD stability control, seems foolish of Ford not to offer it especially to hybrid market and especially after Insurance Institute has stressed need for VSC on all cars as major proven saftey feature.

But they don't offer so takes the Escape off the shopping list.

Honda doesn't even offer on the Civic FWD hybrid which is really odd. Honda just doesn't seem interested in selling hybrid cars as they make them 2nd tier on technology when tryiing to sell to high tech market. Civic just isn't competitive with Prius on features.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 PM

[quote=Prada;129880]Since Ford uses Toyota tech and Toyota offers 4WD stability control, seems foolish of Ford not to offer it

quote]

Ford has developed their own version of the hybrid drive system with over 100 patents on it. Ford has a different version of the AWD system than Toyota or Lexus.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: No Stability Control show stopper for me

Originally Posted by Prada
I was looking at getting one, especially after seeing folks here were able to coax 30mpg from their Ford hybrids but the lack of VSC is a showstopper. Since this applies to 2008, probably getting the Prius.
It just boggles my mind how folks can be in the market for a new vehicle and - given all the variables that go into the decision - the choice would come down to the Prius vs. the FEH. After the fact that they get people and stuff from point A to point B......they serve such completely different purposes. No? If my needs were fulfilled by the Prius hatchback...why would I even look at the FEH?

I think the value of VSC is overblown in small cars and economy (underpowered) vehicles. If it were up to the folks at the IIHS, we would all be using 5-point harnesses and full roll cages in all our vehicles.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

Bottomline is Ford is inferior to Toyota 4WD in ability to offer VSC which Insurance Institute recommends people require in their cars.

With IIHS putting so much emphasis on VSC, a bad marketing move by Ford since it's only offering is in an SUV. Probably the story of Ford's life recently, just missing on all cylinders...too many compromises to get the Ford over the Toyotas...mileage, safety.

It would have bee nice to get the Escape Hybrid because Ford is offering a big trade in bonus on my Explorer.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't think I've ever ridden in or driven a vehicle with VSC or ESC. In fact when I was a kid we didn't even have seatbelts in a lot of our backseats! I came out alright...

Good luck Prada, thanks for stopping by to let us know how you feel about Ford's inferiority. Drive safely.

Quick Reply: Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands