Where is the TPMS error code stored on a 2007 Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Where is the TPMS error code stored on a 2007 Escape Hybrid

Hi, I installed a new/used PCM in my 2007 Escape Hybrid. Almost immediately, I started getting TPMS error codes. I've taken it to the Tire shop repeatedly and they've checked and reprogrammed and they say all the TPMS are good to go. The only error code they received was B1342 which suggest that the PCM is bad again. (this has all happened over the course of a year) I've driven the car because the Tire shop said it was ok to drive. But now the car is starting to behave like it did when the first PCM went bad. I sent the PCM unit back under warranty, but they say it's not their unit and no codes are stored.

So can anyone tell me where the TPMS codes ARE stored? And also, do you have any other suggestions as to what it might be?

Old 10-29-2021, 06:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Where is the TPMS error code stored on a 2007 Escape Hybrid

Check modules with forcan. It could be in APIM or another module like that. I turned off TPMS because I have a bad sensor.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TigerLily_5
The only error code they received was B1342 which suggest that the PCM is bad again. (this has all happened over the course of a year) I've driven the car because the Tire shop said it was ok to drive. But now the car is starting to behave like it did when the first PCM went bad. I sent the PCM unit back under warranty, but they say it's not their unit and no codes are stored.
Your PCM may be fine, but the Smart Junction Box may be bad. In my workshop manual for a 2011 (I imagine a 2007 is similar, the cars were largely the same), B1342 says:

B1342 - ECU is Faulted DIAGNOSE all other DTCs first. If no other DTCs are present, INSTALL a new SJB . REFER to Smart Junction Box (SJB) in this section. TEST the system for normal operation.
If that is the ONLY code being retrieved, my manual indicates replacement of the Smart Junction Box, which is located in the right side of the center console near the front, it's a big module with a lot of connections. It requires the Ford communication module and Ford IDS "or equivalent scan tool." I do not know if FORScan will do it. It controls the TPMS and is also involved with the Remote Keyless Entry system, and I guess other "as-built" data so it has to be done correctly.

Here's a picture:

Smart Junction Box 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid

NOTE: Prior to the replacement of the module, it is necessary to upload the module configuration information to a scan tool. This information must be downloaded into the new Smart Junction Box (SJB) after installation. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01 . In the event that As-Built data is required ( SJB does not communicate), all Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) devices must be programmed to the new SJB . A minimum of 2 RKE devices are necessary to complete the configuration and turn off the flashing interior lights. The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) functionality is integral to the SJB .

NOTE: The steps included in the SJB removal and installation procedure are critical to restoring the vehicle security and tire pressure monitoring systems to normal operation. A new SJB is delivered in a manufacturing mode with 8 pre-set DTCs related to the TPMS . To clear the 8 DTCs, successful configuration of the SJB must occur, followed by successful TPMS sensor training, and a successful self-test. The 8 pre-set DTCs are as follows:
  • B106D (Tire Pressure Monitor System [ TPMS ] Initiators Not Configured)
  • B2477 (Module Configuration Failure)
  • B2868 (Left Front Tire Pressure Sensor Fault)
  • B2869 (Right Front Tire Pressure Sensor Fault)
  • B2870 (Right Rear Tire Pressure Sensor Fault)
  • B2871 (Left Rear Tire Pressure Sensor Fault)
  • B2A21 (One or More Configuration Files Missing or Corrupt)
  • C2780 ( ECU in Manufacturer Sub-State)
  1. NOTE: This step is necessary only if the SJB is being replaced.
    Upload the module configuration information from the SJB . For additional information, refer to Section 418-01 .
  1. Remove the transmission selector lever bezel from the floor console finish panel.
  1. Remove the floor console SJB cover.
  1. Remove the floor console finish panel.
  1. Disconnect the 7 electrical connectors.
  1. Remove the 2 bolts and the SJB .
Installation
  1. Install the SJB .
    • Install the 2 bolts.
    • Connect the 7 electrical connectors.
  1. Install the transmission selector lever bezel into the floor console finish panel.
  1. NOTE: If the SJB was not replaced, this is the last step that is necessary.
    Install the floor console SJB cover.
  1. NOTE: The RKE transmitter portion of the Integrated Keyhead Transmitter (IKT) key is automatically transferred during Programmable Module Installation (PMI). Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) programming is not necessary. If As-Built data is required during PMI , all remote transmitters ( IKT or fob) must be programmed to the new SJB . Cycling the ignition to run for 6 seconds with each IKT programs the RKE function of the IKT key. For additional information, refer to Section 501-14 for the remote transmitter (fob only) programming instructions, if necessary.

NOTE: DTC B2276 may be set, indicating there are less than 2 transmitters programmed to the SJB . For additional information, refer to Section 501-14 .
    Download the SJB configuration information from the scan tool. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01 .
  1. Train the tire pressure sensors. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
  1. NOTE: DTC C2780 does not clear if any other DTCs are present in the SJB . When successful, this step clears DTC C2780.
    Carry out the SJB self-test (must include an on-demand self-test) and then repeat the self-test to confirm all DTCs have been cleared.
  1. Rotate the instrument panel dimmer switch from the full dim position to the dome ON position. This makes sure that all displays are visible under all lighting conditions.

Last edited by AlexK; 10-30-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:11 AM

By the way from the location of the Smart Junction Box up front near the floor, and its connection to the TPMS, the Keyless Entry and the PASS Key system as well as the interior lights and God knows what-all with its seven connectors, you can see why you don't really want to get a lot of WATER or anything else spilled into the front end of the center console, lest it seep down in there and help kill the SJB, necessitating an expensive trip to the dealer for a new one. I mention the water because I know that a couple of months ago, the remnants of Hurricane Ida flooded large portions of the Northeastern United States including big parts of NY, NJ, CT, and MA and a lot of cars were under water as a result.

Where I live, I've seen a few disreputable car dealers attempting to take those cars, bring them to Rhode Island, auction them off, get new titles to mask the salvage titles, rip out the carpets, try to wipe out the mud and grime, blow them dry and re-sell them to unsuspecting customers. "Drives Like New! $6000" for a car that would normally bring at least $10-12 thousand dollars. Caveat emptor!

It could be that you can just disable the TPMS through FORScan like ShadyEcape and live with the car like that, but I am not experienced enough to know.

Last edited by AlexK; 10-30-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:37 AM

Finally, of course it is possible that your SJB simply has one or more of its connections loose or going bad. I do not know if unplugging/cleaning/replugging them will necessitate a reprogramming procedure. It would make sense that once it is programmed, the information is stored in a nonvolatile way because sometimes the 12V battery and HV battery get disconnected, but I am not 100% sure of that. I think it's worth a try. If the SJB nonvolatile storage isn't working, you have to replace it anyway.

Last edited by AlexK; 10-30-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:57 PM

Update: Apparently there is a BATTERY inside the Smart Junction Box that is responsible for maintaining its nonvolatile configuration storage in the event the 12V system of the car is depowered. I have never disassembled one, but I'll bet it's a round lithium battery similar to a CR2032.

Amazon Amazon

If that battery dies, the unit will gradually lose its ability to store all the configuration data it contains, perhaps the TPMS system goes first as it is "integral to the SJB".

Note that this also underscores the importance of keeping a good 12V battery in the car at all times, particularly if you "store" it
(which for a lot of people now means: "it sat outside for six years".) Because if the batteries in the modules die, they lose their configuration data and no matter what you do, you have to reprogram them!

Last edited by AlexK; 10-31-2021 at 04:40 PM.