What if...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default What if...

I'm not saying do this, or try this. But what if you live in a state that does not have any inspections/emmissions control. What if you took the Cat out of the equation, would that freak out the FEH, no cat = no cat temp = no ev? Would FE improve in ICE due to less restriction in the exhaust?
Just curious, I have no plans of doing this, soon anyways
When the exhaust needs replacing in what 10 years maybe....

Also what happens when the battery pack dies (5, 10ys whatever it maybe). Does the ICE takeover and you have a sucky 4cyl? (I say sucky as it's not designed to provide 100% of the power, I under stand they have very low torque in the low end) My guess is only forward is possible as I believe the Rev is electric only.

As you might guess I plan on keeping this baby until it's planted in the back yard, next to my personal fission power plant we'll all own by then, and the Hover board, & eat dinner in a pill! Unless I traded it in on a flying delorean, of course! Just some late night rambelings....

Old 01-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: What if...

The battery pack won't up and die in most cases.... it will just get weaker over time.... probably so gently, you won't even notice. Then one day, a message will come up... just like "service engine" it will say "service HV battery" at that point it will need to be replaced. You cannot drive, or even start the car w/o a good HV battery. The HV battery starts the car.

The 12v battery does very little, except run your clock and lights and radio when the key is out. The 12v battery also turns on the contactors to the HV battery when you first turn the key. Once the car is started, you can drive away without a 12v battery even in the car. But it won't work the other way around.

Yes, the car will freak, possibly not let you start, if you remove the exhaust system.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
The battery pack won't up and die in most cases.... it will just get weaker over time.... probably so gently, you won't even notice. Then one day, a message will come up... just like "service engine" it will say "service HV battery" at that point it will need to be replaced. You cannot drive, or even start the car w/o a good HV battery. The HV battery starts the car.

The 12v battery does very little, except run your clock and lights and radio when the key is out. The 12v battery also turns on the contactors to the HV battery when you first turn the key. Once the car is started, you can drive away without a 12v battery even in the car. But it won't work the other way around.

Yes, the car will freak, possibly not let you start, if you remove the exhaust system.
Thanks, that's what I meant by die, is weaken over time. But good point I completly forgot (maybe because it was 3am) That the HV is the starter, duh!

And the exhaust was just an out there idea. I've only heard how "bad" cat's were for FE, but "good" for the enviroment. I'd never actually do it.... I don't think.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
... I've only heard how "bad" cat's were for FE, but "good" for the enviroment. I'd never actually do it.... I don't think.
Actually, the presence or absence of the Catalytic converter probably wouldn't make any EV difference, since the CAT temp is calculated/inferred from other sensors. My guess is the CAT reading on the SGII would be the same regardless. So EV mode, I believe, would be the same in that regard.

However, removing the Cat converter would quickly set the Check Engine light on your dash, because the rear O2 sensor, behind the Catalytic converter, is used to measure the difference from the front sensor. Without the catalytic converter, both sensors would measure the same, and you would have a constant "Check Engine Light". You wouldn't want to put up with that nuisance all the time

Now I know you wouldn't want to do this, but they do make "fake" 02 sensors (sensor simulators), that are sold to diagnose the emission system, that would satisfy the ECU requirements, but doing all that would be a major stretch

Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok

As you might guess I plan on keeping this baby until it's planted in the back yard, ....
It's funny you would say that, I just told my Wife the same thing recently but she doesn't believe me..........

I love my loaded 06 FEH more than any other vehicle I have ever owned (I owned an 05 FEH originally that had virtually no options). I bought it with 3900 miles on it (for $20,000), have 21,000 on it now & I can't even imagine replacing it...........

~John

Old 01-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

"Removing restriction" to improve anything other than extremely high RPM performance on a properly engineered gasoline engine is a faulty conception. It actually HURTS torque, in anything other than a diesel. It's analagous to those back in my hot rod days that put carbs with HUGE CFM numbers on their small-block V-8's. To use, for instance, 850 CFM (like a Holley 850 has), on a small block engine is ridulous. Here is a formula:

A measure of air flow into and out of an engine (CFM = CID x RPM x VE ÷ 3456).
Example: What CFM is consumed by a 355 CID engine at 4500 RPM if VE =
105% (1.05)?
CFM = 355 x 4500 x 1.05 ÷ 3456
CFM = 485
Example: What CFM by the same engine at 6400 RPM if VE has fallen to 95% (0.9)?
CFM = 355 x 6400 x 0.95 ÷ 3456
CFM = 625

As you can see, to use 850 CFM, the engine would be at about 9000 RPM. Not to mention the torgue was all but gone.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands