what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default what to buy

Hi ...new to the site...need help deciding what to buy.... Ford Escape hybrid or Rav4? Will I really get great gas mileage with the FEH or is there a catch. In my area they are offering 0% financing, 1000.00 off or gas card...and then there is the tax credit thing...I think I have my mind up but I thought I would ask around a bit before the big purchase date. Thanks to all that reply...

Old 07-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: what to buy

I suggest reading the FAQ, it may be helpful.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You should also consider the type of driving you do. Alot of short trips, and stop and go traffic (red light to red light driving in a city) are two things that hurt my gas mileage. Also, the Hybrid is not designed to optimize Hwy mileage but at about 30mpg it isn't bad either. Otherwise, the tax credits and other incentives made it worthwhile for us to go hybrid....plus I didn't fit in the Rav4!

Old 07-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Being that this is a Ford Escape Hybrid forum, we may come across as a little bit biased so take all we say with the proverbial grain of salt.

I love both of mine and have had nothing but great experiences with them. The mileage is great since my normal commute is almost ideal for maximizing fuel efficiency.

Other than a few gripes about petty stuff, I have no complaints. Believe me, if I was unhappy I would be more than glad to tell you all about it.

Also, look at the mileage database (green compare button above) and see what people are getting with these cars. That should take the RAV4 out of the running.

Good luck with your decision.

Ray

Old 07-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

The only downside to the FEH is the low towing capacity. Other than that, it seems like all pluses to me. Very quick from a start and very quick at passing speeds if you're not caring about mileage at that particular moment........and as someone who loves to dog it sometimes, I have to say, ******* it and getting 20+ mpg is a lot nicer than getting 15.

I would recomend a good testdrive where you can try out the things that matter........you will get better mileage.....and you can get much better mileage, if you want.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Notice the MPG below. While not everyone gets this much, it is certainly possible.
If you "drive it like any other car" you will get probably 10% under sticker mileage numbers.

With a little effort, practice, and a more gentle, relaxed driving style, you can get WAY OVER sticker MPG.

Stop and go is BEST for me ( or slow and go really... stopping all the time is good, but not perfect ) 35MPH to 45 MPH for speeds gives really awesome results.

It summer. It's 105 degrees out, A/C is a must.
With Pulse & Glide ( search for details ) and A/C on, I'm still getting 44 MPG in the city.

GO FOR IT!
-John

Old 07-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

My wife and I love our Hybrid, and we are getting average 32.6 mpg. You can't beat that with a small car! The room of an SUV and the mileage of a economy car. The powerful RAV4 v-6 was tempting to me, but my wife could care less about lots of power. And fuel prices are going up, up, up...