Warm-Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Warm-Up

Originally Posted by gpsman1

Something not very nice.
EDIT Thank you for removing it from your post John.

Originally Posted by GaryG
Sorry people, I'm not going to be subjected to to mean post on GH anymore. When I offer help, management allows attacks such as this. I made a complaint and this continues.

GaryG

Management allows attacks? What? First of all, this is the first time I've even seen this thread, do you expect "The Management" to allow no one to post without their permission prior? Or do you expect that as soon as something is posted, "The Management" sees it?

Come on Gary, I expect more out of you.

I'm tired of this, it seems like every other week I've got to play referee for you two. Both you, cut it out and get along. Consider this a last warning if that's what it takes.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 06-25-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It is technically illegal for a Toyota to drive away from a cold start on battery alone. Toyotas sold in the U.S. do not come with the option to pull away from a cold start in EV mode. This is a DIY ( Do it yourself ) modification that some poeple made, since cars sold in foreign markets are capable of using EV from a cold start. Search for "Prius EV button" for more details.

Ford did not really choose to make the engine start mandatory.
Ford is following U.S. Law. ( EPA law IIRC )
Ford did not include an "EV button" option, probably because Ford sells so few cars overseas.
1. Tell that to my mom's Camry Hybrid. I can assure you that she has not modified her vehicle in any way, yet I have gone down to the garage, gotten into it and started driving in EV mode after having it sit for several hours.

2. Read this article: http://www.autobloggreen.com/categor...garage/rss.xml

Another aspect of the Escape control strategy that is different from other hybrids is the start up. When you start the Altima and Toyota hybrids the engine usually doesn't start up right away unless the battery level is low and there are loads on the engine from the climate control or lights. The Escape always starts up the engine. According to Gee, during customer clinics early in development, customers were concerned about the lack of feedback when they started the car. Having the engine start up by default gave customers more of a feeling of control. However as drivers become more familiar with hybrids they are re-examining this issue and may change the strategy in the future.
Gee being Thomas Gee, Ford's Manager of Controls and Strategy Implementation for Hybrids.

No mention whatsoever of "emissions regulations".

Old 06-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I suspect you were very lucky in your mom's Camery.
I also suspect it was still "warm".

I don't know, but your moms car might be ULEV and the Escape is SULEV.
( Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle )

From Edmunds.com:

" An EV switch on the center console allows the 2008 Highlander Hybrid to operate in electric mode for a limited distance at low speeds. We tried it repeatedly, but the system has specific requirements for temperature and level of battery charge, and we were hard-pressed to make it out of our parking garage before the EV mode had to deactivate in order to deliver increased acceleration. It's kind of fun, but it only matters to people who like to race golf carts."

This was never an option before recently, and EV buttons were illegal at the time the Ford Escape Hybrid debuted on the market. I haven't seen a published law change, but it is possible with the recent popularity of hybrids. I suspect some automakers are just "doing it anyway" and EPA has chosen to look the other way, since it poses no substantial threat to the environment. Back in 2004 when the Ford Escape Hybrid came out, Ford chose not to "bend the rules" that state that the catalyst must be working within x seconds of driving. It did not say "x seconds from engine starting".
A technicality for sure, and something trivial before hybrids. But that is what I was talking about.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:35 PM
N/A

2007 ratings:

The Camry Hybrid is rated AT-PZEV
The FEH is rated SULEV II, AT-PZEV

The Camry and Prius may both be started warm, catalyst lit-off, and the ICE may not necessarily come on until it's needed for propulsion.

For example, you may stop a Camry/Prius and (assuming a certain SOC, a hot catalyst and warm ICE) then get back in it 10 or 15 minutes later, press the power button, and the "ready" light will come on without the ICE ever starting. You may then, for example, move the car at low speeds around a parking lot and the re-park it.

There is nothing illegal or immoral or sinful or anything else about this.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 AM

So in simple man's terms, for a newbe, even tho the ICE is ideling at 1500ish rpm's at cold start, the FEH is still driving in EV mode provided there's not a demand for ICE assistance, in other words if you were driving the same way with a hot engine it would stay in EV mode. Is that right?

I've noticed at cold starts it still sounds the same (golfcart sounding) when driving out of the driveway/parking lot after a cold start, but I always saw the tach moving so I just assumed both were being used.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 AM
SPL

Immediately after switch-on, under gentle (or no) acceleration, my Camry Hybrid will run in EV-mode for ~13 seconds before firing up its ICE. [This period will be reduced to almost zero if one demands greater acceleration.] The TCH consistently does this at all ambient temperatures, even after the ICE is fully warmed up (e.g., when starting again after the car has been switched off for say 1 minute). I believe that this is done to pre-heat the catalytic converter. Once this has been achieved, the ICE will shut itself off if not needed — in warm weather, with the car stationary, this will occur less than 30 seconds after start-up. I think that the current Prius behaves similarly.

Stan

Old 07-03-2007, 01:26 PM

I haven't seen a published law change, but it is possible with the recent popularity of hybrids. I suspect some automakers are just "doing it anyway"
I honestly can't see ANY car manufacturer simply ignoring the law......(if that indeed is a law)

~John