Regenerative Breaking issues during warm up

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Regenerative Breaking issues during warm up

I live in Toronto where it currently is around 0 degrees C (32 degress F). My '06 HCH, when not quite warmed up, will engage battery charging while breaking, but then quickly release the charging, which results in the car jumping forward and requiring extra pressure on the break. Are other HCH owners seeing this as well? I am only noticing it now, after 1800km.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Regenerative Breaking issues during warm up

I do not see this at all. Matter of fact, my regenerative braking does not occur until the car has actually warmed up a little. Not sure why this is though.

Iwould bring the car into the dealer, seems like it could be a safety issue

DKeane

Old 01-05-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by dkeane
I do not see this at all. Matter of fact, my regenerative braking does not occur until the car has actually warmed up a little. Not sure why this is though.

Iwould bring the car into the dealer, seems like it could be a safety issue

DKeane
Assist and regeneration do not engage until the battery has warmed up. This takes less time than warming up the engine and the battery takes a lot longer to cool off, so this isn't much of a problem.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

It happens when there are about 4 bars on the temp gauge, but doesn't happen after the car is completely warmed up. Maybe there is a problem.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by Irish1996
I live in Toronto where it currently is around 0 degrees C (32 degress F). My '06 HCH, when not quite warmed up, will engage battery charging while breaking, but then quickly release the charging, which results in the car jumping forward and requiring extra pressure on the break. Are other HCH owners seeing this as well? I am only noticing it now, after 1800km.
I don't notice it at all on the 03 HCH but the Accord does that "every time." It took a little getting used to that last-second "lunge" when autostop kicks in.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:26 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irish1996
Notice a similar thing in Halifax as well. The car will "lurch" sometimes when the regen kicks out. This is after the car (battery) has warmed up to the point that the computer allows regen at all. On cold starts after an overnight period, the car will provide some assist, but no regen until the battery has warmed up. This is what I expected, based on comments here and in the manual. Drawing current from the battery (assist) will warm the battery up fairly quickly.

As expected, the car does not "auto stop" till the engine is warm. But sometimes on the first stop after it has warmed up enough to autostop, the engine will restart, if stop is long enough. I assume the heater has taken enough heat out of the cooling system, to drop the temp and cause the computer to restart the engine.

I do not find the "lurch" dangerous, after all my foot was on the brake, only a little disconcerting the first few times it happened.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

I notice the same thing some times in the morning. Here in california, with temps in the morning from 40 to 50 right now (6AM). It is annoying and I think may be dangerous. Is not the lurch that happens when autostop engages while coming to a stop. It
begins breaking, then lurches like accelerating while you are actually breaking...

Also I think it takes a bit longer to warm up than the 03 I had before.

Juan S. Fernandez
06 HCHII 1100mi
Los Angeles, CA

Old 01-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

sounds like a problem you should see a dealer about. If it wasn't a CVT, I would say it soulds like there is a load on the engine and the AT downshifted to a lower gear and would give the surge. Watch your RPMs the next time, see if there is any other subtle things going on, it will help you with the dealer and if being more descriptive might help someone help you on here.

I am having a weird surge on mine, but it is under a steady rate of pedal pressure and speed, and the mpg drop at the same time. I need to do some more driving to truly understand it since it is a rare occurance, at least we have warranties!!! Free parts and labor, I have an extended warranty that allots me a rental car as well. Good luck and I hope they car fix this problem fast and you stay safe until it is.