Trailer Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 12:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Trailer Wiring

The patient is a 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid base model. Has anyone wired a 4 pin trailer hitch plug into the large unused plug sitting behind the driver's side (North America) rear wheel? I think that large squarish/roundish plug is designed for the optional backup sensor system (which we don't have) but it might also be used for trailer wiring. Can't find anything on the Ford parts list. If there was a plug in harness, it's been discontinued. I do have a 2002 Taurus trailer wiring harness that plugs into the rear light wiring harness but I would imagine the connectors are probably different but haven't checked that out yet. Any info including links to wiring diagrams would be helpful. If you are a retired Ford tech, thank you for coming out of retirement for a few minutes. Thanks again!

Old 08-02-2022, 07:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trailer Wiring

If you intend to haul anything over a max weight of 1000 pounds (including the trailer) with your '10 Hybrid, you're going to be crying. You can bolt anything you want on there but you'll destroy the car. Get another car for towing.

Old 08-03-2022, 05:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Multiple members proved here that is not true. The hangup with towing is your electric reverse is really weak and you may get in a position where you can't back up with your load. Not in some rare scenario but easily.

The backup cam wiring only has backup cam stuff.

Old 03-01-2024, 05:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses guys. I only need about 500 kg capacity but haven't installed the hitch I got from the pull since I have a Wrangler readily available for the occasional trailer towing I need. If you know anyone that needs a used hitch for a 2009-12, let me know.