TPMS and Valve Stems on Factory '10 FEH Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 12:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default TPMS and Valve Stems on Factory '10 FEH Wheels

Hello everyone,

I have a very slow leak in my passenger side tire/rims on my '10 FEH with the Pirellis and the factory 16" aluminum wheels. It isn't egregious and I check the pressures and manually refill the tires once a week and both lose a few PSI per week.

Today I was talking with some folks in another section of the Elsewhere and the question came up:

Are the TPMS sensors integrated with the valve stems?
Can you replace the valve stem cores independently of the TPMS sensors without dismounting the tires? I.E., by jacking up the car until the wheel is off the ground, unscrewing the valve core with a tool, putting a new one in, and reinflating the tire?

Does anyone have some light to shed on this? When I replaced the factory Michelins with the Pirellis, I did not have new TPMS sensors installed. The PO told me the front passenger tire always leaked a little, and it's still leaking now, along with the rear passenger tire (a little more slowly.) I'm wondering if it's just the valve stem cores after 11+ years, and if I can just fix the problem with new valve stem cores.

Thanks for any insight and help.

Last edited by AlexK; 09-09-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TPMS and Valve Stems on Factory '10 FEH Wheels

When I had my tires replaced they replaced the valve stems with TPMS "compatible" ones. I'm sure you could do the cores without dismounting but not much beyond that. MY tpms is down anyway because one of the sensors died.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
When I had my tires replaced they replaced the valve stems with TPMS "compatible" ones. I'm sure you could do the cores without dismounting but not much beyond that. MY tpms is down anyway because one of the sensors died.
Thanks very much that's what I wanted to hear and I think you're right also. I am looking into it and I'll report back what I use. I think after 11+ years those valve cores are leaking and that's what is giving me grief.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:24 AM

BTW ShadyEscape if you ever decide to do that sensor, here is a relearn procedure I found:

https://www.tpmsdirect.com/TPMS_Rele...res_s/1562.htm

https://www.tpmsdirect.com/Schrader_...earn_a/822.htm

Old 09-12-2021, 04:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I bought the little box. I have to change the sensor and I too have trouble getting inside the tire. I just shut the whole thing off with forscan.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:11 AM
Enthusiast

I love the way BMWs design cannot be self tightened from the outside as easily as the others so you have to bring it to a garage to tighten, if it starts to leak.
Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox

Last edited by haosukd; 12-12-2021 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:07 PM

Have you tried properly tightening the cores? This core tool by Slime has a torque feature...twist-til-click:

tool tool

This (the top one) is what your sensor looks like. You can easily change the core with the tire mounted:

TPMS sensor