Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring System

The NAV unit has nothing to do with the tire pressure monitoring system. I'm pretty sure that each wheel has a pickup associated with it, as the training sequence requires you to start at the driver's side front tire, then go to the passenger side front tire, and continue around the vehicle clockwise. The training procedure didn't work when the tech at my dealer tried to go to the wheels out of sequence. I'd be surprised if Ford put the wheel pickups on vehicles that didn't have sensors in the tires, but, then again, they did put in a cabin air filter system without including a cabin air filter.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Its not on the NAV screen. The ONLY light is on the dashboad near the tac if I remember right. YOu should be able to locate it by looking in your manual.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by pquig
The NAV unit has nothing to do with the tire pressure monitoring system. I'm pretty sure that each wheel has a pickup associated with it, as the training sequence requires you to start at the driver's side front tire, then go to the passenger side front tire, and continue around the vehicle clockwise. The training procedure didn't work when the tech at my dealer tried to go to the wheels out of sequence. I'd be surprised if Ford put the wheel pickups on vehicles that didn't have sensors in the tires, but, then again, they did put in a cabin air filter system without including a cabin air filter.
Also... if you have the light on the dash and one of the sensors isn't transmitting.... The light will stay on as a failure. So it makes sense that they would not put the pickups on a car that doesn't have the sensors (because the light would be on all the time).

Old 07-19-2006, 06:18 AM
HEV's are your friend

Anyone have an idea on a ballpark of a cost of what it would be to add a TPMS system in?

Old 07-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pquig
The NAV unit has nothing to do with the tire pressure monitoring system.
It does on a Nissan. I work for a Nissan dealer now and on all their vehicles if you have Nav, you have real time readouts of each tire, available on the Nav screen. If you don't have Nav, you have a dummy light like us. That's why I was wondering about Nav. But, you're right, I guess Ford did not elect to give Nav customers this feature.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by EOppie
Anyone have an idea on a ballpark of a cost of what it would be to add a TPMS system in?
Just so you know... in the usual case its not like these sensors give you a real time readout of the tire pressure. They only give you a warning if the pressure drops fairly low. I think I read that in the FEH its set to somewhere around 26PSI). Its far cheaper and more accurate to just use a tireguage regularly.

The intent is just to prevent people from ignoring their tires completely until they are dangerously low.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:50 AM
HEV's are your friend

Tire gauge it is then!

Old 07-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EOppie
If you do a web search on tire pressure monitoring systems you can find aftermarket setups for around $400. The tire sensors alone with run you more than that from Ford.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

So, if I were to replace wheels on an FEH with the monitoring system, does that mean the light will be on all the time???

Because we run winter tires for over half the year, I usually get a second set of rims so that the tires don't have to keep coming off and on......and it sounds like the sensors are expensive and not all that useful, at least to someone that looks at their tires pretty often.

Can the light be disabled?

Old 07-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andyh
So, if I were to replace wheels on an FEH with the monitoring system, does that mean the light will be on all the time???

Because we run winter tires for over half the year, I usually get a second set of rims so that the tires don't have to keep coming off and on......and it sounds like the sensors are expensive and not all that useful, at least to someone that looks at their tires pretty often.

Can the light be disabled?
At first I thought that you might be able to get it disabled by the dealer for a 'nominal' fee. On second thought, that might not be legal. I'd probably recommend the black electrical tape method.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands