Tire Life

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 08:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Tire Life

Just a quick note.....

I passed 25,000 miles the other day......

I also passed 1 year of ownership at nearly the same time......

Damm I drive alot.

On my 1 year anniversy I happened to park nexted to a brand new FEH (got that day) and noticed that my tires look identical to the brand new ones.

I have rotated them twice and keep the pressure at 44 PSI and the wear is excellant. Out Prius (gen 1) was on it's 3 set of tires at 25,000 miles.

Chris Brown

Mendocino County, Ca.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Life

Wow, some Prius owners are at 80K and are STILL on their original tires! How the heck are you burning through tires every 12K??

Old 12-01-2005, 06:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

I doubt anybody got 80k miles out of a Gen I Prius tire. They are junk. The Car is fine, but the tire choice was awful. There are some alternatives, but so far we have been unable to find them locally. The Gen II Prius does not have the problem.

I know it is a serious issue because Toyota took the step of buying every Gen I Prius owner a free set of tires.

Chris Brown

Old 12-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

That is what Toyota got for choosing an overly small rim and tire width size for a very densly packed heavy car. If the Gen1 Prius was not a hybrid with all the added hybrid equipment that size of tire would be fine. However finding a heavy duty or XL service tire for that size of application is pretty difficult. Not many tire manufacturers make XL rated tires in the Gen1 size and on top of that the manufacturers that do are not ones I wish to buy tires from.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Early Adopter

Only Dunlop and Bridgestone and neither one is a particularly great tire. I tried and failed to procure some Nokiian NRT-2 for our Prius (not XL rated but close enough) but once Costco started carrying the RE92 and offering the occaisional "buy 3 get one free" coupons I grudgingly stuck with the OE tire.

Originally Posted by JeromeP
That is what Toyota got for choosing an overly small rim and tire width size for a very densly packed heavy car. If the Gen1 Prius was not a hybrid with all the added hybrid equipment that size of tire would be fine. However finding a heavy duty or XL service tire for that size of application is pretty difficult. Not many tire manufacturers make XL rated tires in the Gen1 size and on top of that the manufacturers that do are not ones I wish to buy tires from.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jerome:

___I will not defend the RE92’s for their traction but the much heavier - last gen Camry came equipped with the same RE92’s as the Prius I came with. In terms of FE, you cannot do better then the RE92’s that came on the Insight although they were of a different compound then the RE92’s on the Prius I/Camry’s for whatever reason?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes