Time to recoup price difference of FEH and FE

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 05:33 AM
Megageek
Default Re: Time to recoup price difference of FEH and FE

Originally Posted by snax
Now just imagine how much money and pollution people could save if they either moved closer to work, or got a job closer to home.
Easier said than done for some of us. I cant afford to live close to where I work, my wife has a healthy commute in the other direction, and we both have jobs we don't want to leave. That's the reason we both bought an FEH. We got them to reduce the amount of fuel we use, the fact that we will make the price difference up in a few years is incidental to us. We bought them last June before the gas prices went up.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

I wonder why would you need a F150 to go to work which is only 3.2 miles away???

Old 05-25-2006, 11:53 AM
no more oil

snax

the feh is a fine vehicle.

However, you mention with all your family et al, its the only one that 'meets your reqirements'.....

Have you looked at the Toyota Highander -with 268HP and 25mpg real world???

We chose the highlander over the FEH for the very same reasons you are talking about.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ooral
I wonder why would you need a F150 to go to work which is only 3.2 miles away???
I don't. But we do need it to haul materials and tow our boat. On the nicer days I ride the motorcycle which gets nearly 60 mpg.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

On that note, you are absolutely right. I am happy with my MMH while commuting, but just ordered a hitch receiver, with 1000lbs towing capability I can only tow a small sailboat. I was really looking for a towing capacity to tow a small powerboat. :-(

Old 05-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

We never considered the Toyota for three reasons:

#1) We don't get a corporate discount on it!

#2) It has more capacity than we need for passengers and towing.

#3) The first two reasons made it tough to justify the economy hit.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

jumping in late and probably tangentially , but here's my piece:

Look at the 'hybrid' package as simply a powertrain option:

"Sir, would you like that in 4cylinder, V6, or hybrid? Auto, or stick? Leather, or cloth? Would you like the DVD system and wireless headphones as well?"

In this light, the payback period argument either way becomes absurd. Options exist to customize a vehicle for a particular customer's personal preferences, needs, and priorities.

Every choice has a cost. Period. That cost (as pertains to vehicles) is repaid in satisfaction and comfort, usually- something intangible that the owner experiences. Same with the hybrid cost- it makes us feel good. Only the hybrid option is unique in that it is the only option package that has a shot at recouping its cost.

So the conversation now turns to why would you NOT get the hybrid option yet still get leather/DVD/etc, given the ability to afford anything other than the base model at all? Then the tables turn since the cost of the option is removed from the context, and the naysayer is on the defensive as to why they do not want to use less fuel (and eventually recoup the cost), yet do want to have more material 'stuff' in their vehicle that will never recoup.

And yeah, yeah I know that the 'hybrid' option usually costs more than even the most expensive trim package, but we're still not talkng astronomical differences, either.

Last edited by gonavy; 05-26-2006 at 04:18 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

GoNavy,
Good point you make there. People can pay thousands of dollars for the leather package or premium package on a car. You won't recoup much of that on trade-in. Let's face it, new cars are not investments. At least with the hybrid you get the tax credit.

I own 2 hybrids and hear it from family all the time about how they can't justify a hybrid and how long it would take them to make up the cost difference in gas. I think it's funny though....when we bought our 04 Civic hybrid and gas was about a 1.50 a gallon here in NorCal everyone made their snyde comments. Now that gas is fast approaching 3.50 a gallon I don't hear it as often. In fact most of them are more interested in my vehicles.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Your aurgument is flawed in a big way. In April U.S. Retail Gasoline prices were around 1.80 a gallon. Today, they are around 2.75 to 3.00 a gallon according to Wikipedia. Which means gas prices have risen about 50% in two years. If gas prices continue to rise even 15% a year, your numbers are far better. Gas prices will continue to rise and that is what you're betting on.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I got mine basically because I like to be the first on the block to have something, and when I saw it didn't WASTE gas at stoplights, well, I thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It has really "grown" on me. I didn't think 50% better mileage was that impressive, considering all the effort that went into developing the FEH, so I learned how to get 200% better mileage now. But that was an afterthought. I got it because I thought it was cool, and also I wanted to send a message to Ford "I am willing to help fund your developments in NEW technology." The Internal Combustion Engine has not changed much in 100 years! And we are getting fewer MPG today than 30 years ago thanks to the invent of the SUV*. This is the most dramatic change in automobiles in the history of the horseless carriage!

In the early days (1900-1910) in many towns you had to get permission in advance from City Hall to drive an automobile within city limits, on town roads. It seems people didn't like the smog and noise of the automobile, and it may, in fact, startle the horses.

Now FastForward 100 years and think.... STEALTH MODE!

Enjoy your Hybrids!
-John

*while we do get the same or fewer MPG today as in the past, we do get more horsepower per gallon today, than in the past. What the FEH has taught me is:
For most daily driving needs, 25 horsepower is enough. Very rarely do people need 250, 300, 350 horsepower on a daily basis.

Quick Reply: Time to recoup price difference of FEH and FE

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands